Tuesday, February 14, 2023

Mid February

I'm not quite sure how we have already reached the middle of February, but the calendar never lies.  I guess I can start pulling out the greens for St. Patrick's Day now.  

We had such beautiful, warm days last week and we are now under freeze warnings for the next few nights.  Today was spent covering up all of my frost prone plants, and there are quite a few.  The stone fruit are all in full bloom and too big to cover.  The citrus is as well.  We just need a tent to cover the entire yard at this point. lol  I am more than ready to see the arrival of spring.

I have finally finished piecing the Quiltville Mystery Quilt, Chilhowie, for this year.  Between my design trials and mistakes, I think I have sewn every seam at least twice!  It feels really good to have it finished and ready to quilt.


This week the Project Quilting Season 14 prompt was a novel project.   We were to stitch something that reflects a book we have read.  The book I chose was Goodnight Moon which was read over and over and over again to our children and continues to be a favorite of the grandbabies.  The children always enjoy searching for the hidden mouse with each turn of the page as you slowly put each item in the room to sleep.  Goodnight red balloon fabric postcard!


I managed to finish the quilting on my red Kaffe heart quilt in time for Valentine's Day, but I need to find a good binding for it.  I was not pleased with any that I had so it got displayed this year with no binding.  I guess I need to make a trip to the LQS.  That's always a dangerous place to visit.  ;-)  


One of my favorite heart quilts I have made was for our youngest granddaughter.  I think I need to make another one for our house.  Ramona of Doodlebugs and Rosebuds just made this quilt as a baby gift and her version is so sweet.  


We have no big, fancy plans for dinner out tonight.  We've always preferred to fix a nice meal at home.  Two of our sons own restaurants and it is always their busiest night of the year.  I made a nice loaf of heart shaped sourdough bread and a fresh orange cake.  DH is going to BBQ lamb chops and we will both be happier with that than any meal out.  How about you?  Do you dine in or out on Valentine's Day?



13 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your BH mystery quilt flimsy. Goodnight Moon was one of my kid's favorite books as well. You were really clever with the prompt, love the postcard. Your heart quilt is gorgeous. I actually displayed a Christmas quilt last December that needed binding. Fold them just right on the ladder and no one knows the difference. Our fancy Valentine's dinner was tacos from a 'local favorite' food truck...they are the best! (This was also a first for us...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg I have heard about it forever but I don't think I have ever read Goodnight Moon. I think I need to add it to my list. Your postcard is adorable. As are all your other quilts. Ages ago someone told me to string the old incandescent Christmas lights around frost sensitive plants - they provide enough heat to protect the plants...might need to make a trip to the Goodwill ;o) Snowed here today. Still can't get used to that. Take care,

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a perfect postcard representation for Goodnight Moon. I hope that plants all fair as well as possible the next few evenings. It's amazing how up and down the temperatures have been lately.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Valentine's dinner with your husband does sound delicious, Mary! So much quilty loveliness in this post. Such an amazing quilt, Chilhowie, is going to be. Oh my, all that piecing? Sweet little mouse with the red balloon and your granddaughter's heart quilt is lovely. The Kaffe heart quilt is stunning. Such glorious fabrics and a fabulous pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We loved Goodnight Moon at our house, too! Your postcard is adorable. And you know I LOVE the Kaffe heart quilt. I really need to add that to my list. Your "With Love" quilt sure was an inspiration to me, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful BH mystery finish.
    Cute Goodnight Moon post card.
    Your Heart quilts are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your mystery quilt looks great! Love the other projects, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really darling postcard. The book sounds wonderful as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE all your finishes! Great job!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm with you. I'm so ready for Spring! Fabulous mystery quilt - and it's so big! Just love that Kaffe Valentine quilt - so beautiful. We tend to stay in for Valentine's Day. And we had some Lamb, too. Great minds think alike. Blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  11. Super cute postcard for PQ14.4!! How many times have we all read Goodnight, Moon?!?! :o))

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your mystery quilt is really fabulous

    ReplyDelete