Thursday, March 2, 2023

This and That for March

 February was a very interesting month of weather for us.  We broke all kinds of cold temperatures and low snow levels.  I am hoping March is a bit kinder to us.  I've been having to cover all of my tender plants each night and it is getting rather old at this point.  We have, however, added inches more rain to help fill up our lakes and streams - all good and welcomed.  We've enjoyed rain, rainbows, hail and snow.  The groundhog was apparently right about six more weeks of winter.  



All the cold temperatures have made me want to stay in the kitchen and turn up the heat.  The Meyer lemons ripen at this time of the year so processing them was necessary.  Lemon curd and preserved lemons are always favorites around here.  Of course, sourdough bread also heats up the kitchen and is great with warm soups.  



A bit of sewing has also been completed.  Our great grandson loves to help his mommy cook, but was in need of an apron.  Doughnuts on one side and vehicles on the other seemed like a good idea for a little guy.



Project Quilting 14.5 prompt for this week was Sew Not a Square.  In the hopes that spring is on the way here, I created a quilted puzzle piece. Instead of sunshine, I added clouds and rain. 


I've been sewing lots of HSTs for my Harrisonburg Quilt Quiltalong (#harrisonburgquiltalong) hosted by Wendy Sheppard.  Harrisonburg is such a gorgeous pattern and it's not too late to join in on it.  I love these blocks.  


When Wendy had her Crockpot Weekend Sewalong, I was selected a winner of a layer cake from P&B fabrics.  It is a beautiful selection of red, black and white fabrics.  I think it will make a gorgeous Christmas quilt.  


 For Valentine's Day, my husband gave me tulips growing in water.  They have lasted so long, but I finally had to call them officially expired today.  I loved seeing  them in the kitchen and will miss them.  I hope the bulbs will bloom again next year.


I hope that March will consider leaving like a lamb.  I am excited about the time change coming up soon.  How about you?  



11 comments:

  1. Love the puzzle piece! Great idea - definitely a puzzle when (should I say if?) Spring will ever get here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your weather has been crazy this year! As you said, you've gotten some much needed rain. Baking and creating in the kitchen is a good way to stay warm and to feel cozy. The puzzle piece and quilted block are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sourdough bread looks so pretty and it made my mouth water! The apron is adorable. I'm sure your grandson will love it. I really like the fabrics you are using for the Harrisonburg quilt. Congratulations on the win! Those fabrics will certainly make a nice Christmas quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your sourdough bread is pretty. It looks so delicious. I have never had preserved lemons, but I do like lemon curd. My son is in Carlsbad and hasn't been liking the cooler temps. I love that little apron.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your sourdough bread looks almost too pretty to eat. Do you have a favorite recipe for the bread? A friend gave me some of her starter nearly a year ago and have managed to keep it thriving. But I've not had the knack for making a good bread with it. We typically make biscuits when we're having a soup supper and occasionally we'll make sourdough pancakes. I love that double-sided apron, so perfect for a little one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an inventive PQ14.5 entry!! How did you even think of that? It turned out SEW cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gah! LOVE the puzzle piece - so incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope your March weather is better than your February weather. What a cute cute apron, perfect for a little one. Cute puzzle piece. Congrats on your winning. The red fabric looks awesome and with that gold running through it will be nice for a Christmas something for sure. Beautiful square. The bread is making me hungry.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was hoping for signs of spring but the snow storm we're dealing with now says that spring isn't here quite yet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow that sour dough bread looks amazing and great to have so many lemons,well done on your beautiful projects and what a lovely blog you have ,hope you have a wonderful day 🌹🤍🌹

    ReplyDelete
  11. Waving hi as I make my blog rounds, hoping all is well with you.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete