Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Minis and More

Another month of 2018 is coming to a close.  Time is moving too quickly.  The end of the month means it is time for the Minis and More Parade.  You can visit the parade at Michele and Sherri's blogs on November 1st.  They have both been great hosts month after month.

This month was a "choose your own" mini to make.  My choice, with Halloween, was to make Soma's (of Whims and Fancies) Witch's Hat paper pieced pattern.  Soma's detail to her designs is impeccable.



I always enjoyed doing dot to dot designs as a child and thought I would do the same on the cute background fabric, using the sewing machine.  It was definitely more challenging than with a pencil and more difficult to erase my mistakes.  lol



Our Sewing With Friends group is making table runners/toppers to swap this year.  Although this is a fall fabric with leaves and nuts, I do think it could also be used as a winter runner.  I found the pattern online somewhere, but I can't seem to locate it again.  That's the story of my life.



When we were back in Iowa, my cousin sent us home with a large bag of apples from their orchard to eat on the way home.  There were too many to eat so I prepped them and made apple pie filling to freeze.  I ended up with seven pie fillings.  We ate one and froze six.  The one we ate was delicious.  I wish we could grow good baking apples here.



The weekend was spent making a Rapunzel costume with my grand daughter.  I will share a photo of it when I can get one of her in it.  She is a perfect Rapunzel with blonde hair below her waist.  It turned out great and she loved it.  Our youngest grandbaby is going to be a bag of popcorn.  I loved this photo our daughter texted me  It looks like he is not quite sure about all of this.



Meanwhile, I have to share pictures of a Corn Hole game that our children gave me for my birthday.  It is fabulous and has details that are way over the top.  Our oldest son constructed it, but all participated in the process.  The kids collected lots of wine corks - many coming from our sommelier son in law.  All corks were cut in half!!  Do I detect a quilt pattern in the arrangement???  The wood was stained a Bordeaux color - very appropriate, I thought.

Not sure why the picture looks like a lopsided circle.  It is actually very round.  

I thought I had managed to get a shot with no glare so that must be a Halloween ghost I am seeing.  ;-)


He even included cup holders on the backside.....

See....round holes!


….and even a special compartment for the bean bags.



We are serious Corn Hole players here!!!

It seems like we get fewer and fewer trick or treaters each year.  I think we had six total - other than the grandchildren - last year.  How about you?

Happy Halloween.

Linking up with Mama Sparks World

19 comments:

  1. My grand brought one of those games our last get together. Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, so many beautiful photos here. Isn't Soma the most fabulous designer. Your witches hat looks fabulous. Love the dot to dot background and quilting; what a brilliant idea! The table runner looks lovely. I am always amazed at how quickly and expertly you whip up pretties. Your little grandbaby looks adorable in his popcorn costume. I have not heard of a corn hole game. Your son and grandchildren did a great job with the construction of it. Yes indeedy, I can most definitely see a quilt pattern there. Such a happy post. Enjoy those trick or treaters.....Halloween isn't really big down under; we don't really celebrate Halloween here in Australia. Halloween is most certainly an American thing. Have a fabulous day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! Your grand baby’s popcorn costume is adorable! How clever! Your corn Hole game is awesome! We bought Emily a set for her birthday in VCU colors. It’s a fun game!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the background dot to dot as well as that super cute witch's hat. WOWZers, what a great cornhole game. The cork is a fantastic idea. Adorable is all I can say about that precious bag of popcorn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of fun Mary! That little bag of popcorn is too cute

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Halloween piece is so cute. Popcorn doesn't look thrilled, but it is a great idea. Corn Hole, what a neat gift. Love the wine corks, and a place to set your drink and store your bean bags? Win!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful post! I love your mini, along with your little bag of popcorn and your Cornhole boards! We don't get many trick-or-treaters either.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your popcorn grandbaby! How adorable :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cute idea for your October mini! That table runner is beautiful and definitely could span the seasons! I'm always amazed at the creativity of young parents to dress their baby for his/her first Halloween. A bag of popcorn takes the cake though! We haven't had any Trick or treaters in nearly 20 years, living so far in the boonies and the few close neighbors we do have don't have any children.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic Halloween Mini. very clever sewing the dot to dot background.
    How cute is the Popcorn costume...
    I had to Google what the Corn Hole game was.Son and kids did fab job of making the boards.. looks like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE your hat! It's beautiful. So happy that you liked the pattern. The background is absolutely brilliant. With those beautiful colours, I can definitely see the runner as a winter one too. Those apple pie filling must be delicious. I can only eat cooked apples, so apple pie is one of my favourite desserts. The bag of popcorn made me laugh out loud, and I can't wait to see a photo of Rapunzel. The Corn Hole game looks amazing too. I can only imagine the amount of work went into making it. That must a very happy Halloween ghost to be there at your place. We are also getting fewer trick or treaters, I miss the gaggle of kids that used to come. What a lovely post, Mary, I really enjoyed reading it!

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't say enough about your post, I love the little mini, the runner, your son making you that corn hole game, amazing....what a talent.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh that bag of popcorn is just so yummy!!! Love the witchy ghoulish mini Halloween quilt. So many fun things.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fun post, Mary, with so many great fall activities, from corn hole (I'm quite jealous) to Baby Popcorn to apple pie filling and a witch's hat! I feel like I've just had a great visit, so thank you for sharing your life with us.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the game your family made. Obviously you aren't the only crafty one.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fun sewing and quilting Mary -the witches hat is quite special and the runner very effective. Gorgeous popcorn outfit (and model inside it)! The game your family made looks great too, although I haven't heard of it before...toss the beanbags, aiming for the hole?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! There's almost too much here to take it all in!! We made a set of cornhole boards for the camp -- they get used every time a group is there! But ours aren't near as fancy as yours are!! The popcorn costume was just darling -- what a cute idea! Your mini is so fun -- I love the twist of the hat's brim! And the background fabric is PERFECT!!! If they do it in 2019, I'm going to have to get in on the monthly mini thing! But back to that fabric -- whose is it? And I love that you stitched the dot-to-dot! The runner is really gorgeous and I think you're right -- it could go into the Christmas season very easily. Good colorscape! If you find the pattern, please post the link!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a fun post to read with my morning coffee! Love those corn hole boards! Very unique! Such a precious popcorn costume! What fun to have littles to Sew for....and snuggle with!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You mini is adorable! I just love how realistic the hat looks, and the dot to dot fabric is such a wonderful find!

    I love your "bag of popcorn" too!

    ReplyDelete