Wednesday, June 1, 2022

Happy June

With the busiest month of the year behind us, I feel as though there is a fresh start to the new month.  Life is good!

Sewing took a big hit in May.  Most sewing came in spurts here and there.  I love a good empty day where I can sit and sew till my heart is content.  The bits of stitching here and there always seem to leave me feeling scattered and looking for something quick and easy.  

These leaves fit into the schedule.  The idea comes from a photo of a table runner that I had attached to my "dream" board.  

Several years ago when Block Lotto was up and running, I won a set of Birds in the Air blocks one month.  I came across them recently, but I need to make more in order to make a quilt with them.  Again....a simple design that can be quickly sewn together.  I added another eleven blocks to the stack.  


That makes for a pretty pathetic 17 blocks for my total this month for the 350 Blocks Project.


When we moved here about thirty five years ago, we put a sand volleyball court in the backyard.  It saw a ton of use, but over the years the soft sand had blown away.  With a new generation of grandchildren playing now, we decided to upgrade the court to a more functional play space.  This month saw the transformation into a sports court that has provided many laughs.  We've learned to play pickleball and are really enjoying it.  I just need to get better at figuring out how to call the score!!!!  Sheesh!  Wonder if anyone has ever thought of a simple scoreboard.  :-)






The weather has been fairly cool for us.  The flowers continue to bloom, but the tomatoes are slow in setting fruit with our cool nights.  The vegetable garden has been a constant battle with rabbits this year.  Any good hints????


The streptocarpus are gorgeous and are transplants
from my father's from many years ago.

I believe this is a begonia of some sort.  It is a volunteer plant
that makes its appearance each year in several of my pots.

This is a Mandevilla vine that eventually grows over the 
patio cover by the end of summer.  My trellis is a 
crib spring.


So.....bring on June and summer.  I'm excited that it is here.


15 comments:

  1. I love your squash court. Kind of like our makeshift basketball court. I declared that the next time we play a game, I think it should be croquet. Sometimes even a little time to sew is nice, but I agree I can't get into the 15 minutes a day. It makes me feel unorganized, which is just weird. Pretty plants, and you have lots of fun sewing projects going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leaf runner is cute, can't wait to see it finished. Your yard and flowers are also so pretty. I have weeds...lots of weeds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to search to find out what pickleball is. It does sound like a fun activity with your grandkids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your new court will surely provide a lot of fun in the years to come. How fun to use a baby crib bed spring for the trellis! I'm glad you found some time to sew in the busy month you had. Love the table runner!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are some very fortunate grands to have a place to play like that! As usual, your flowers are just gorgeous. I love the colors in the leaf runner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pickleball - what a funny name!! The place looks fantastic and the grandchildren will have so much fun. I always admire your flowers. I am looking forward to some good stretch of studio time tomorrow. I wish you the same. Looking forward to seeing the leaf runner.

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never heard of pickleball until I read your post. One day I plan to makesome maple leaf blocks for a table runner. Finding free time is becoming more and more difficult these days! Have you tried sprinkling cayenne pepper on your susceptible plants?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello my lady. Seventeen blocks in a month does not sound pathetic to me at all.
    I can so agree with the delight of an entire day to just sew to your heat's content!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful flowers, and the court looks awesome. I have a friend who plays and enjoys pickle ball. I've not tried it, am way to prone to twisted ankles to want to do it. LOVE the colorful leaves. Rabbits...nothing works. I chase them everytime I see them eating my flowers. I've sprayed stuff that's suppose to keep them away...suppose to being the operative word. My husband throws things at them. It's a daily struggle and maddening. Someone mentioned pepper above, if you have lots of plants like I do; that would be over whelming...AND like my spray you have to do it everytime it rains. Argh. Good luck.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your flowers are gorgeous. How lucky you were to win a set of Block Lotto blocks. I did participate for several years but never won any. My St. Anne's group is in Riverside. Do you know of another. If so, would you share their location via DEM. We'd like to make contact with them. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pretty sure I left a message the last time I made blog rounds, but don't see anything here. Not sure why. Beautiful flowers and quilting. Good luck with the volleyball court project.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
  12. Waving hi as I make my blog rounds, hope all is well with you.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
  13. Waving hi as I make my blog rounds. Can't believe it's July already. Fast fast month.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
  14. Waving hi again as I make my blog rounds.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Waving hi again as I make my blog rounds. Hope all is well with you. Time flies, it's August now.

    ReplyDelete