Wednesday, April 27, 2022

April

 I'm not quite sure where April has gone, but guess an update is appropriate.  

While looking through a bin for something completely unrelated, I came across my pile of selvedge blocks.  How easy it is to get distracted!!!  I decided it was time to get them together into a quilt.  I was really quite ready to be finished with all of the selvedges by the time I came to the borders.  I knew it really needed mitered borders so ended up making even more blocks to complete it properly.  




This was my bucket of selvedge strips.  They had settled nicely and really exploded when I started pulling them out.  I was nearly swallowed up in selvedge strips.  


I realized just how bad it was when I stepped outside and saw one of the dogs wearing a selvedge strip.


Several months ago a blogging friend, Soma, had contacted me to ask if I would make an artist apron for her.  I was truly flattered.  She offered to pay me to create it, but I suggested we barter.  She is an exquisite knitter and I have always wanted a pair of fingerless gloves.  Well.....she made me TWO pair of gloves AND knitted hats to match.  I LOVE the colors and the yarns feel heavenly.  Soma works in many mediums and does a beautiful job in each one.  She's also an excellent photographer.  



The Sewing With Friends group that I have been a member for a number of years is doing a row by row this year.  I sent off my first row and will let my friends add to my dachshund body.  The head and tail pattern are from Sew Fresh Quilts.


Jeanette at Inchworm Fabrics had a giveaway on her blog and I was chosen as the winner.  There was such a nice collection of fabrics, pinks and neutrals.  As well, design board fabric was included.  I am excited to upgrade from my design floor! Thanks, Jeanette.



We had attended one of the grandson's volleyball games the other night.  On the way home, we decided to stop and grab a bite to eat.  Coming out of the restaurant, we saw black smoke rising behind the building across the street.  We jumped on the freeway to head home and the fire was right on the side of the freeway - a hotel under construction.  The heat coming from the fire could be felt inside the car.  I don't know how the firemen could stand being so close.  We were fortunate to get past the fire right before they closed the entire freeway.  



The epiphyllums are the garden bloomers right now.  So far the pinks and oranges have displayed their beauty.  I still have the red, yellow and white to appear.  




My April block count for the 350 Block Challenge is 84.  


14 comments:

  1. Your selvage quilt is beautiful! Love the selvage on the dog! lol That fire looks scary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your selvage quilt. The dog was asking does this color clash with my fur? Beautiful flowers, and the hats and fingerless gloves are gorgeous. Also what a great win!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the photo of all your strips exploding over your sewing area.
    Beautiful flowers,too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL, I'm glad my string bin isn't the only thing that explodes when opened. Thanks for the laugh. OMG the fire looks scary, my dad was a firefighter, the majority of his calls were resuscitation. He only told us about the funny calls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, all those selvages...you were buried! They make for a marvellous quilt, though. How lovely Soma and yourself were able to gift each other with lovely pretties. The gloves and hats are lovely. Yes, firefighters are wonderful first responders. The work they do is extraordinary. Your garden keeps gifting you with pretty flowers, Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You had a very busy and exciting April. The selvage quilt is amazing, those mitered borders!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't even imagine all those selvedges! Your quilt is beautiful though it hardly took a bite out of the pile! The dachshund is adorable, it'll be fun to see what is added to his world.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The selvage quilt is incredible. The mitered corners do look great. The selvage on your dog was funny though. Are you keeping rest of them for another quilt? I am so glad you liked the mitts and hats. I had a wonderful time picking out yarn and pattern and knitting them for you. Yikes the fire looks hot even in the picture. I hope nobody was hurt. Gorgeous flowers. All the colours must look amazing together!

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your pooch with the selvage on his back is too funny! I can't imagine the fun you had going through your piles of selvages,looking for the perfect one to add to your blocks. What a beautiful quilt! The hats and fingerless mitts are beautiful. What a wonderful gift.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your selvage quilt is beautiful. I started to save my selvages while ago and don't have any where near your volume. Maybe I'll make a table topper with mine! Great incentive to get mine out of the bin!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can imagine the relief that you feel getting that beautiful quilt top done. Exploding bin of selvage scraps...LOL! Beautiful cactus in bloom too. I used to have one similar, but it was shy and didn't bloom much for me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my, that fire looks bad. How sad all that work. The flowers are so pretty. LOVE your quilt and had to laugh when I saw your sewing room and then the dog sporting a salvage, lol. Long ago I belonged to a knitting group that would knit a section of a baby blanket and mail it onto someone else. It was fun and random; but then they sorta ruined it when they chose colors and patterns ahead of time. I thought the randomness and mix of this and that was the fun part. Love your wiener, will be fun to see how it progresses.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a devastating loss by fire. Glad you were safe.
    Your selvedge quilt is gorgeous and the border is perfect. I bet it took a long time. I can see why that one got set aside for a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was pretty sure I had been here and left a comment earlier, but don't see anything. Think might have even been here a 2nd time to wave as I was making blog rounds. The quilt is wonderful. Your office/craft room area made me laugh with your piles. The fire looks nasty.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete