Thursday, July 16, 2020

July Happenings and Singer 201-2

In my search to occupy my many at home hours during this endless year, I decided to do some rearranging in my studio.  In one corner I had a vintage sewing machine in a cabinet that I was using as a table.  The grandchildren have had so much fun sewing on the vintage machines lately so I decided to move it out to an area where it will see more use. This was a machine that was from my husband's family home in Stillwater, Minnesota.



I had used it in the past, but it had been a number of years.  I read the manual, cleaned, lubricated and oiled it completely before running it.  What a great machine it is!  It's a Singer 201-2 which is called the Rolls Royce of sewing machines and thought by many to be the best vintage sewing machine ever.   It is said that it was used by Rolls Royce to sew the leather seats in their cars.  In researching it, I discovered it has a "potted" motor and Singer was so proud of its machine that it was gifted to Queen Elizabeth.  It's a heavy, solid machine, but a real beauty.  Just look at that detailed cover plate.



 The machine runs beautifully and is known for how quietly it runs.  There is even a way to drop the feed dogs by a simple adjustment underneath the bed of the machine - quite a novel idea for back then.  It also has a drop in bobbin rather than a side loaded one.  I like the drop in bobbins much better.  The stitching is perfection, small and large, top and bobbin, through single or multiple layers.


A locking stitch length plate.




It sits in an art deco style cabinet with a stool that has storage space under the leather seat.  Inside the drawers are many different feet and attachments as well as lots of bobbins, threads, thimbles and other sewing notions.  I especially loved this package of white "best quality" thread.  Four spools for 88 cents vs. the full price of 25 cents each.  If only........


An adjustable buttonhole maker.





According to the serial number, this old boy will be 79 years old on July 23rd.  I've named him Sven to reflect my husband's Swedish roots and I'm sure he would have many stories to tell if he could talk.   He is a keeper and I hope we enjoy many more happy sewing years.

So what was Sven's task this week????  More masks, of course.  It looks like they will be with us for quite some time.  They might as well be stylish.



We were able to attend the First Communion of one of the grandchildren this week, followed by a nice picnic in the wine country.  There was a field of marigolds that we passed on the way that made a perfect setting for a photo.



Another bit of sewing was a tooth fairy pillow for a special five year old who just lost her first tooth.



Babs was having a fabric giveaway recently and I was chosen as the winner.  Look at these pretty fabrics.  Included was a cute panel for a little stuffed Christmas angel doll that I will have to get sewn for one of the granddaughters.  Thanks, Babs.


In closing, I'll leave you a photo of an orchid that just bloomed.  The colors are so pretty and I love the dark pink on the tips.  There are three blossoms on this plant.


With the new Blogger I was getting some pretty disgusting comments left.  I have reverted back to old Blogger, but I have also applied comment moderation so you will not need to be offended by such comments.

23 comments:

  1. You have a real gem of a Singer there, Mary. It is in beautiful condition. I'm sure the grands are going to have a lot of fun stitching on Sven. Also a very pretty granddaughter in the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that Singer is in such good condition and with all the manuals and attachments still in boxes that look they were made yesterday! Definitely a gem! I bought one of those buttonhole attachments at an estate sale because my Mom had one and I can actually use it so much easier than the new buttonhole attachments. Such pretty fabrics that Babs sent. And that orchid is so delicate and stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so fun to see the vintage sewing machines that still run so smoothly. I doubt any of our current computerized machines will be running in 75 years! Your granddaughter is precious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are one of the fortunate ones to have a Singer 201, the top of the line for sewing machines! I do almost all my piecing on a 1951 Singer 201 Centennial, my first vintage machine that came in their Queen Anne cabinet, for $21.25 over 20 years ago. Best machine ever. And do keep that Hemstitcher attachment, they're quite valuable, especially if the "L" shaped screwdriver is still with the attachment. You and your grands will have a great time with this treasure. Your granddaughter looks so sweet in her communion dress in that field of flowers! I know your dilemma with the nasty spam, so thankful for comment moderation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That Singer is so pretty and it's nice that it works so well. Pretty masks, adorable granddaughter, gorgeous flower, and that tooth fairy pillow is just the cutest! I love seeing all of your happenings. It seems with all the moving and moving again, I have been lax in visiting. As for that new Blogger format, I was getting used to it but realized it doesn't send me emails when I get comments. I switched right back. I think eventually we won't have a choice, so hopefully they will fix the kinks in it. I haven't noticed icky comments, but I guess I wouldn't if they don't let me know there's a comment! I better double check things. Stay safe and healthy! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your granddaughter looks lovely in all those flowers. I'm sure it's wonderful to be able to spend time with her.
    The machine is beautiful. I have a 15-91 that I had serviced and never really got around to sewing on. I bought it because it was like the one my mom had when I first learned to sew.
    The masks are very stylish. I've started sewing some caps lately for the nurses is Texas. Then today I sewed a couple masks for my hair dresser's daughter. She liked the style I had first made her with the bias ties and pleats. I couldn't believe how long I took today! I would never have made it on as assembly line apparently ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful machine, and beautiful orchid!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun pics of machine! Congrats to your granddaughter on such a special day! I can't figure out what a field of marigolds would be for, tho! It's past garden season so do they harvest them for something? (my chickens eat them...?? LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your old Singer is a beauty. I too inherited an old Singer from my MIL. I really need to get it up and running as I remember her using it on a regular basis. I'd love to know what mask tutorial you used. They are different than the ones I've made and would like to make more too. Unfortunately it looks like they will be in use for awhile. Glad you got to enjoy the First Communion. A very special time. Stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your machine is the same age I am. We were built well back in those days, ha ha.
    Stillwater Minnesota, I had a pen pal in the 1950s from there. We wrote all the way up until we had children and then lost touch.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What treasure Sven is and you made a nice pile of masks on him...
    The marigolds were a perfect setting to take a photo of your special granddaughter.
    A sweet pillow for Lucy to leave for the tooth fairy.
    What a beautiful bloom on the orchid.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love my old machines, my featherweight especially. My grands got me a "Southern Pride " about the same thing as a singer and it sews so good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have the settings in my Blogger profile set so that my blog is NOT visible to search engines and that any commenter must have a Google account. So far I've not needed to enable comment moderation but I've heard of several who have been getting nasty/disgusting comments. Your Singer is a beautiful thing and with family history even. I know you'll enjoy using it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Mary. So good to see your news. A very nice machine there.You have cared for it well. Your grandaughter is lovely. God bless her as she reaches this stage of her faith walk with God. I like the look of your masks. We have been told we will be required to use them more, so my daughter has requested some. (shes not a stitcher) Keep well and safe.xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow so many great things. Love the old machine, but I have a soft spot for them. Great pic of the grand daughter in the field. I need to make some more masks. The ones I get at work, especially if I am working in the freezer get all wet, then I feel like I am suffocating. I need to be able to trade them out.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a delightful, newsy post! So glad I stopped by!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mary, everything is wonderful....but Sven is fantastic! I would love that machine, it's so pretty and everything with it is in pristine condition!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is such a beautiful machine. I am so glad you decided to use it more with the grandchildren. Sven certainly would have many stories to tell from the past and now he will have even more. I have never seen a field of marigold before. That yellow is gorgeous! Lucy's tooth fairy pillow is simply adorable and the orchid is beautiful. What a lovely post, Mary! Enjoy your win!

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am so happy to find your blog and read this post. I do not know if this comment will post. Love your Singer Sven and what a treasure it is. Beautiful Granddaughter in the field of marigolds. Gorgeous Orchid. Blessings Dear...

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's lovely to have those old machines and lovely to have them running so well. It seems like it will get a lot more use still. The field of marigolds is gorgeous - what a find for your photo! So far I've not had enough spam comments to make me want to change to moderation. Good to know it's there though if it does happen.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow lots of fun things going on last month! That sewing machine is a beauty - what a treasure! And such a beautiful setting for your granddaughter's picture to commemorate her special day!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello Miss Needled Mom. How are you? I did not know there was such a thing as fields of Marigolds. Wow!

    Your grand daughter is lovely in her white dress for communion. I am glad your family could be together.

    I have heard people rave about old Singer sewing machines. Yours certainly has a beautiful stitch and beautiful craftsmanship on it.

    ReplyDelete