Sunday, June 28, 2020

June Gloom





This is the time of year that our area is deep into our June Gloom - overcast, cool and foggy mornings that linger into mid afternoon.  By the time the gloom disappears and the sun is shining, it is time for the fog to settle back in for the evening.  It is not my favorite time of the year!  I'd gladly take the summer heat, but it is what it is!

I have managed to catch up on a few projects in this down time that I keep putting off until "tomorrow."  Tomorrow seems to have arrived.  I have done so many Quilts of Valor to donate and always had the intention of doing one for my husband who served in the U.S. Navy as a pilot during the Vietnam War.  One quilt that I always liked and have done before is a QOV designed by Diane Tomlinson.  I'm sure it is still online for free somewhere.



This has been my month of being queen bee in our Gridster Bee.  I chose the Moda Village block for my beemates to make for me and I love the little houses that I have received from them throughout the month.  I will be sad when the month is over, but we get to make flag blocks for our queen next month.  These are some of the blocks that I have received this month.








 Several of the younger grandchildren have been learning to sew this summer.  It's a great thrill for me to be able to teach them and I believe they also enjoy the time we have spent together.  I always start them off on my vintage machines as it seems a bit easier for them to learn with simple straight line stitching, easy reverse levers and pedals that can also be accessed with a knee lever for those who cannot reach to the floor yet.  It also gets the machines used more often.  The boys are as eager to learn as the girls.



One of our granddaughters had a birthday yesterday.  She LOVES sunflowers and she is a master baker so I had to add this happy apron to her gift.



With the extended use of masks, the sewing of them has not ceased.  I have been making more and more for family and friends.  They are really an enjoyable and quick project.  Unfortunately, masks have become such a polarizing subject.  I regret seeing so much judgement over the issue.  I, for one, have a tracheal stricture which makes breathing everyday without a mask more difficult.  With one, my airflow is even more restrictive.  I do have a medical dispensation from wearing one, but do I?  No,  I still wear my mask when out on short trips for the simple reason of "offending" others.  I can't wear a sign around my neck that asks that you do not condemn me for not wearing one.  So.....before we criticize, consider that those people may, in fact, have a legitimate excuse.  We all need to be more compassionate and tolerant in these difficult days. Okay....I'll jump off of my pedestal now.  My current "mask du jour" is a combination of different masks.  It gives good coverage, is comfortable, has a nose wire and a curvature for those of us who wear glasses and is not so restrictive as far as breathing. They also work up quickly.  I don't know about you, but I love checking out the different masks when I am out and about. 



And just for kicks..........

Trust me, you will never see a nose exposed without remembering this cartoon!!!

The fragrant plumerias  have started blooming in the yard.  They make the months of looking at leafless sticks worth every moment.  Floating a few in a small bowl can fill the house with a scent of the islands and dreams of traveling again.











I wish everyone a safe and happy birthday of our nation this week.

30 comments:

  1. hahaha.......what a chuckle that improperly worn mask....I don't have a problem wearing one even though it does get hot and uncomfortable....I am happy to protect myself and do wish everyone would be kinder these days about everything. Love the Valor quilt. What did hubby think about it? I'm sure he loves it. What cute houses. I love when someone fussy cuts something into the door or window. My grandson did a little sewing and even some machine embroidery when he visited last summer. They do enjoy the creation process....must be hereditary....lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just look at the village of those Moda Village blocks; how fun they are. Love your Quilt of Valor beauty. It is a gorgeous design. There are so many issues that are polarising at the moment, isn't there. We don't really wear them down here as we have had no reporting of COVID cases for weeks now. It must be interesting walking around in the US with the plethora of different masks in fun fabrics out and about. Keep safe and stay well, Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the photo of your grandson. You have received such cute house blocks. How kind you are to make all those masks. Our numbers continue to go down but our isolation is now till July 15 and we wear our masks and only going for groceries.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A fabulous Quilt of Valor you have made for your DH.. I always like house blocks , they made great quilts....
    Love,y cushion your GS made and perfect Birthday apron for Brooke.
    Oh I did get a really good chuckle when I saw how to wear your mask, you're right that picture will be in my head when I see someone wear their mask under their nose... haha!
    Some very pretty BlooMs...
    Stay well and I do hope that Gloomy June goes soon for you. 🤗🤗

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super cute post and excellent read! I LOVE the Americana quilt for your husband! He was a pilot? How wonderful! My dad was drafted but went to Germany instead of Vietnam. I feel blessed to have had him in my life considering he missed Vietnam.
    I have been wanting to do a Covid 2020 quilt with houses, but don't need a new project. These houses look cute and simple.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful pics Mary....love the flower!! Been very hot and dry here for ages. Not normal for us, but last night we got a bit of rain, so, I woke with a pounding headache...change in weather does that to me. But will save our gardens...I hope. I am staying very busy with quilting, helping s friend pin baste today. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. First of all, I love your cartoon on how to wear a mask! Too bad I can't have that printed on a mask to wear myself. Second, how wonderful that you are teaching some of your grands to sew. Passing on your gift to them is priceless. Third, I love your QOV for your husband. It's a great pattern! And fourth, beautiful flowers and house blocks. It will be fun to see the blocks all together in a quilt. Be safe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the QOV! Will file that one away. Have been wanting to start making one a year and I thought I'd finally start that this year but...well, I guess it's only half-over. We'll see if I can still fit it in. So neat to be sewing with the grandkids!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just curious which patterns you combined to make your masks?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the QOV. That is one of the most striking patterns I've seen and fairly simple to make too.

    Well I had my belly laugh for the morning!! I have been amazed at how many people wear their masks improperly and now I'm afraid I might actually start laughing when I see a nose exposed again.

    I agree there are so many who really can't wear a mask but it still irritates me that some that could wear one are sneering at the people wearing them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. really? There are people who can't wear one? They can't wear something loose?

      Delete
  11. Love your QOV for your husband! The wavy red strip is perfect. You are going to have fun putting the little houses together, they all look so cheerful and colorful.

    My eyes! You are right I will never look at nose hanging out of a mask the same again. hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your QOV and the grandchildren sewing has claimed that softspot in my heart today. I,like you, had to take a moment on the soapbox this morning, it's all become a bit too much. The apron is precious and surely will be treasured. Hugs to you~

    ReplyDelete
  13. cute! I have made masks to , each one with changes after I wear it out!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Really cute blocks! Pretty gloomy here in Texas too. Yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your Valor quilt & house blocks are beautiful. The flowers will help brighten up your day I hope...xox

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my dog! I am still laughing at the cartoon. NO one but us in this 1000 home 'hood, wears a mask. They bike, run, walk right past or at you proudly. Our infection rate is the 2nd highest in the state. I saw some door to door, and can you fathom that?, salespeople wearing them on their chins, but the rest of them have no mask. I motion through our door window, no mask? then wave them away.
    I should comment on your quilt... after all that's why I signed up to get posts by email, it's striking. DH said we should display the flag again, but I worried people around here might think we support the side that seems to have commandeered it for the past three years. I was always the person with her hand over her heart, singing patriotic songs loudly... but I'm tired. so tired.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Diane Tomlinson's pattern is IN HONOR OF. I haven't found it free but it is available at www.quiltingdaily.com for $6.95. Your choice of the wavy stripe is spot on! Do you remember the designer or company from the selvedge? Other than yardage the quilt would be easy to recreate even without the pattern. Yours is lovely.I'm sure your husband will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really like that QOV pattern and yes the mask cartoon is cute.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks Mary, now when I see non wearing mask people I'll be thinking to myself, "what a dic? perhaps" lol I relate with you with so many topics today. I too have airway issues and wearing a mask is like having an elephant sitting on my chest while trying to breathe so I wear it on the bridge of my nose to allow the discharge to evaporate sooner. Interesting too with your husband being a Navy Pilot, so was/is my brother but thankfully he was only support servies during the Vietnam war since he was still at the Academy in Annapolis. I was extremely worried any ways during that time. Thank your husband for us.
    Lovely patriotic quilt and endure your June bloom. we're having plenty of wet humidity now on the East.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Also your mask looks great, where did you find it. I've made close to 50 so far and am still tweaking them for breath ability , fit and coverage. Please share.... Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the QOV pattern you selected for your husband. Please pass along my thanks to him for his service.
    The little house are adorable, I've enjoyed seeing them on your IG.
    Your grandson did a great job on his flag pillow. Its nice to hear that your grandchildren have an interest in sewing. I think my daughter made ONE square once...LOL.
    The cartoon is a hoot!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I enjoyed reading your blog post! My sewing bee has made the same house blocks and we swapped with each other. We were required to add our names so it will be a nice memory of all the girls in the bee. I have made some trees as well, to add to my wall hanging. It was the perfect theme for our swap since we have been stuck in our houses during this pandemic. I have been using disposable masks, but I MUST sit down one day and make some fabric masks. Your post reminded me of this! Can you please direct me to the pattern u used. I am sure your granddaughter will treasure the personalized apron you made for her. Maybe one day I will learn machine embroidery!?

    ReplyDelete
  23. you won my little giveaway , need a address, hugs

    ReplyDelete
  24. The valor you made for your husband is beautiful with the flag and the star blocks. I wonder how you will arrange the lovely house blocks into a quilt. That must have been such fun to sew with the kids. It is a good skill to have for both boys and girls. The pillow he made looks amazing! Sweet flowers in your garden and the apron is a perfect gift for a master baker! A Very Happy Belated Birthday to your granddaughter.

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  25. The QOV is gorgeous. How fun to teach the grand kids something. Your bee blocks are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lovely eye candy here on your blog Mary. I love the quilt you made your husband- it's very striking. Gorgeous bee blocks too. Lovely to see your grandchildren learning how to sew - mine haven't got to the point where they will follow a plan - the cushion is great.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Mary. That QOV is FABULOUS!!!! I absolutely love it! I may have to 'borrow' your fabric choices and make one for myself! Your houses are darling ... as is that grandson's smile! The apron for Brooke is darling -- what a great job! Your plumeria are beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. That would be a beautiful quilt for your husband Mary! Your weather sounds perfect to me, hot weather doesn't do much for me. I'm another one who has trouble breathing when wearing a mask, thankfully Bob does most of the shopping and if I do go....it is a fast in and out and it feels so good to get it off outside. I believe they help and wish more would wear them.

    ReplyDelete