Wednesday, November 30, 2022

Quiet Time Sewing

 I haven’t been at the sewing machine much the last few weeks due to acquiring a bit of new hardware in this creaky body, but I have had fun catching up on some hand sewing projects.  

First in the queue were a couple quilts that needed the binding stitched down.  I had done the machine sewing in anticipation of my sewing vacation so the hand stitching was left.  Years ago I participated in a New York Beauty sew along.  I can’t remember who sponsored it, but the earliest note I made in my blog was in 2012.  Well…..ten years later it is now in the finished pile and I love it.  I am not a professional quilter, but Karrie at @karrie_ann_longarm_quilting on IG is, and she did an incredible job on it for me.






 After that it was time to tackle the points on my Kaffe Escher Cubed quilt.  The pattern had called for cutting them off, but I thought it would be fun to leave the points if I could figure out the binding of the angles.  I really like the way it turned out too. 





And lastly  I finished the Christmas stocking for the newest granddaughter.  I have made the felt stockings for each of the children in my daughter's family and love seeing them all hung at Christmas.  Ramona also makes them for her grandchildren and has a nice way of finishing hers off.  She was kind enough to give me her hints in completing this one.  I have always lined mine, but she makes a lovely quilted backing stocking for hers.  The stockings are Bucilla kits with all of the needed parts to complete the stocking - beads, sequins, threads and felt.  They are really quite fun to sew and they have such great detail.



These are the stockings for the rest of the children. 









Next week I will be participating in the Cookie Exchange Blog Hop so please be sure to pop back then.  It's always a fun event with some great recipes over the years.  




7 comments:

  1. My eyes don't want to stop dancing around your New York Beauty quilt! The fabric choices, the piecing, and the quilting are all so stunning and interresting. Beautifully done. I bet it was the NYB QA that I started about that same time. I think I did two blocks total. https://sewsweetness.com/2012/02/new-york-beauty-quilt-along.html. Different designers did different paper pieced portions in the quilt along.

    I love how your Kaffe quilt was finished. Glad you had a little down time from your new hardware to let you finish these beauties. I don't know if I would have had the patience to complete all of that binding, but you did it beautifully.

    So much love and detail went into the stockings that you made. Wow! They are definitely treasures that will be kept forever. Speaking of down time... I visited the knee doctor yesterday. I'm not getting any new hardware yet, but I am getting a special "cleaning" done. It will probably happen in January or February when it can be scheduled. I better get busy on things that I can kit up so that I can work on them by hand from my new-to-me recliner. Happy healing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many accomplishments and new hardware too! You are an inspiration! The NYB is beautiful and extremely interesting as well. The colors are keeping me looking at it for quite awhile...and then the quilting, well it is certainly well done! You have quite a treasure to enjoy there.
    Your finishing choice for the Escher quilt added so much!
    I am still working to adjust to my new hardware :-) but I am able to walk with the dogs now so life is considerably happier! And news alert...after two very full years, I finally started sewing again. I'm working on a Sawtooth cat quilt and have almost got one border completed....paper piecing of tiny pieces. I will be awhile on this. I can see why I stalled out on it.
    Happy December to you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope your new hardware is working the way it should. Both of your handwork projects are spectacular. I think it was a good idea to leave the points on the Escher cubed project. I have done that kind of binding before and it just takes a little more thought how to do the inner points.
    I feel like a real slacker with the simple Christmas stockings I'm making for my great-grandchildren. Your stockings are a lot of work and so cute when finished.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, those two quilts are magnificent. It is a good thing that you are dealing with new hardeware as it allowed you to finally finish them. I hope your recovery is going along smoothly. I love all of those stockings. I hope to make some for my grandchildren also. I look forward to the Virtual Cookie Exchange. I didn't see the post to join this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both your Quilts are beautiful, and I do like the way you finished the Kaffe one.
    All the felt stockings are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The quilts are Gorgeous!!! So much interesting color combinations. The Christmas Stockings are too cute. I can tell you had fun making them. Hope you feel better soon.
    Sandy's Space A virtual cookie exchange. Haven't heard about that, but sounds like the beauty of it is low calories!!
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both quilts are gorgeous! I like the zig-zag edges on the Cubed one - worth the effort figuring out the binding to do it that way.
    All the stockings are lovely, too.

    ReplyDelete