Thursday, April 22, 2021

Quilts, Monarchs, Flowers and Such


 The main problem with posting so seldom is trying to capture everything in one post.  It has been a busy month around here.  

Sewing started the month off with a gifted quilt for a friend of my DIL who just started chemo for breast cancer.  Snails Trail seemed like an appropriate pattern for the slow months ahead of chemo, radiation, double mastectomy and reconstruction.



The camera angles make one look quite long and thin while the other is square,  It is actually a generous sized throw..  

It progressed to more fun sewing, baby burp cloths and a Christening gown for a baby shower for our eldest granddaughter.  I completely forgot to take a picture of the gown, but will do so at the Christening.  


Then we slipped off to Hawaii for a week of complete relaxation.  It was heavenly!  The view from our balcony was glorious and we enjoyed the sunsets everyday.  The flowers there were also fantastic.  












Can you spot the courting gecko?

This masterpiece was hanging in our hotel lower lobby, artist "unknown". 
A reminder to label your quilts!  (110" square)


From our room we had a view of the hotel gardens below us.  It was such fun to watch the progress of their plantings from when we arrived.  I wouldn’t mind that job!




It’s always fun to return home and see what is happening in my own gardens.  So much is blooming now.  

Cymbidiums.  Many of these once belonged to my dad.  He had quite a green thumb.







Clivia.  These were all started from seeds that my BIL gave me.







Roses...I love this one.  It is called Tuscan Sun by Jackson and Perkins.   



We’ve had so many monarch cocoons this year.  Many have flown free already, but I have several left to hatch.  One is going to break free sometime today and I am trying to capture it on a video.  It’s soooo close.






Lastly, this past week our daughter’s Golden Retriever had ten puppies.  OMGoodness....cuteness galore.  Fear not.....that is not a handmade quilt, but would be worth it.  ;-)






16 comments:

  1. Your quilt is beautiful. Sorry for what the recipient is going through. I recently gave a quilt to a friend who is going through something similar minus the mastectomy, but chemo, radiation and a whole year on a medication called Herceptin. I need to talk to you about Hawaii--we are planning on going there in 2023 with the entire family. And your flowers are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, what a fun post. Good to hear you got a trip to Hawaii in as it is another sign life is beginning to return to normal. I'm actually on the Big Island right now. What a treat. I love all your photos, but the last one of the sweet pups certainly caught my attention. I can't get over "10" sweetie pies. I hope you'll share more photos as they grow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much wonderful stuff happening! Oh the flowers! Oh the puppies! The Snail Trail given as a gift should bring comfort during this time. What a gorgeous, relaxing trip to Hawaii!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of goodness in this post. Your flowers certainly gives those in Hawaii a run for their money :) Just beautiful and how special to have ones that belonged to your dad. The golden retriever puppies are too precious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! Your photos of Hawaii make me want to visit! You are a wonderful photographer. I loved the photos of your orchids and clivia. I have a very potbound salmon colored one, I remember seeing the yellow ones when they were first developed and they were so expensive! Yours are amazing coming from seeds. I think it's safe to say that you inherited your dad's green thumb. Jan in MA

    ReplyDelete
  6. How lovely to enjoy a week's holiday in Hawaii, Mary. Fabulous photo of those palm trees in the wind. The Snail's Trail quilt is a beauty. A beautiful gift for someone who is going through so much at this time. Oh, those puppies......cuteness overload. Every litter of puppies should sleep on a pretty quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, so many gorgeous photos! I guess you knew some of us in the east have had several inches of snow weighing down our poor daffodils and tulips. Your own gardens are so gorgeous, little need to go anywhere for a visual treat, though definitely some total relaxation in the tropical paradise can do wonders for the spirit. Your snails-trail quilt will be much loved as your younger friend recuperates from this long process. Will you be bringing home one of those adorable puppies?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hawaii looks so different this time of year. I was there at Christmas over 50 years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have been busy! A tropical getaway sounds wonderful at the moment. Your orchids are fantastic, the puppies are gorgeous. Is the Christening baby your first great-grandchild? Congratulations, whatever the number. The snails-trail quilt is lovely. Best wishes to the recipient.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've always wanted to make a snail's trail quilt. I'm sure the recipient will feel the love you've put into this one. I really enjoyed the rest of your post...the flowers, puppies, palm trees! Thanks for sharing! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Snails Trail does have symbolic meaning for a long and difficult trail. I am sure the quilt meant so much to her.

    Hawaii - yay for you! My most favorite thing in Hawaii was the wonderful smell. It just smelled so good to me with all of the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh for those precious puppies!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your flowers are gorgeous, even prettier than the ones in Hawaii...wow! Your photos of Hawaii make me feel jealous, but also very happy for you that you got away. Ten little puppies sound so fun and they look adorable. Best wishes for your friend as she works her way towards recovery while snuggled in that lovely quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so sorry to hear about the friend of your DIL. I know the beautiful quilt will bring much comfort during those hard days ahead. Everything looks amazing! You certainly have inherited your dad's green thumb. The puppies are so adorable, love the different coloured bands around the neck.

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so sorry to hear about the friend of your DIL. I know the beautiful quilt will bring much comfort during those hard days ahead. Everything looks amazing! You certainly have inherited your dad's green thumb. The puppies are so adorable, love the different coloured bands around the neck.

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice quilt for the DIL friend. My family did an Air BnB they had a good time. You have such gorgeous flowers in your yard. Great pics from Hawaii too. Oh the puppies are so sweet, 10 wow that is a handful.

    ReplyDelete