Monday, January 18, 2021

Resolutions

 Does it seem like the start of this year seemed less about resolutions?  I really did not hear much talk about them.  I've never been a fan of new year's resolutions so I've never participated in the sport of making them.  I know what I want to accomplish, but nothing really changes just because a new date has rolled around.  

Always on the list of "guilts" are UFOs.  Somehow, those guilty feelings can be cast aside when something sparks my interest.  Squirrels....isn't that what those are called?  

One major eyesore in my creative space are the endless 1.5" strips that multiply like rabbits.  Why is it so hard to throw something that small in the trash???  Having finished a leader/ender quilt using many of them, one would think the bin would have been diminished.  Nope!  So....I decided to reduce the number of them more quickly by sewing up log cabin blocks.  (Why is it that everyone seems to be sewing log cabin blocks right now?) They go quickly and once I get a decent sized quilt done with them, I am going to dump the rest of them.  I promise....no more guilt!!!

I do think that I am going to have to seriously consider figuring out a way to add some sort of design wall.  The floor just is not working anymore.  I'm not really sure why it is that the dogs cannot stand to see me put my blocks on the floor.  My problem is that I do not have a lot of wall space in my studio.  What I do have is taken up by bookshelves or my cutting table. I hesitate spreading into the adjoining guest room.


There is also this little problem with my scrap basket.  They all fit in the basket until I started pulling them out to sew them.  Now, it's as if they have been freed and are taking over the sewing room like an erupting volcano.  


The weather has been absolutely beautiful for the last week.  We need rain so badly, but it has been perfect for getting out, soaking up the vitamin D and pruning roses.  I had several grandsons come to help me with the task and nearly one hundred roses were completed in record time.  It was tough to prune them as they were still blooming. 



Colette had made a great looking loaf of Sourdough Cinnamon Raisin bread.  Since I am always looking for recipes using my starter, I had to give it a try.  It was, as Colette said, absolutely delicious!  Everything about it was fabulous and I am sure it will become a frequently made bread here. 
 


I've been a part of a group of six gals who have sewn together for a number of year.  Each year we choose a different project and this year we are doing what we call our "Sow's Ear to Silk Purse".  We sent and unloved piece of fabric to our partner and they were to create a "silk purse" and return it.  Irene sent me the blue paisley fabric and, in return, I created a table topper for her.   
 

One of the younger granddaughters has been over and learning to sew.  She is doing a great job and thoroughly loving it.  I have had her using an older White sewing machine that I bought when the local college ended their homemaking courses many years ago.  There were a lot of labels added to these old machines by the different manufacturers.  It is basically a Dressmaker machine, a model of the Singer Class 15.  The tension knob is located on the side of the machine rather than on the front. It is a real workhorse and sews very well.  After doing a good servicing of it and replacing the tension spring, I am sending it home with her so she can have it when she gets the urge to sew.   These old, heavy duty workhorses are so great for young seamstresses.   It is also such a pretty color!


That's been my NO resolution January!  Are you one who makes resolutions?


18 comments:

  1. I thought about making a project as I sorted through my scrap bins but there were way too many squirrels playing in my head so I just stopped and sorted! Your log cabin is going to be beautiful. Your Silk Purse turned out very cute. I have the same problem with my design floor - I usually end up throwing Bella in another room until I'm done - she bites if she can't play when she wants to play.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No I don’t make resolutions either and the folk I know who do never carry them out! 🤔
    Haha! Your scrap box sure has exploded... the log cabin blocks do look good but I’ve become very brave and now throw away bits as I cut ....
    You make a lovely table topper for Irene from her sows ear fabric...
    it’s always great when young ones what to sew and the machine looks like a good one to learn on.
    How good your GS helped with the pruning.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not one to make resolutions, either, but have plans in my head. Have you thought of hanging a design wall from the top of your book shelves that can be taken down when not being used? I've seen people do that and it seems to work well. Your scrappy log cabin blocks are going to make a beautiful quilt. How wonderful that your grandchildren help with pruning, etc. And teaching your granddaughters to sew is so great... passing on your passion to the next generation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your log cabin quilt is stunning so far. I love how bold the blocks are! The bread looks delicious. I so wish my hubby liked sour dough bread.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No resolutions but I did choose a guiding word for this year: "mindful". I'm trying to implement that word into my daily life and have more intentionality. You describe perfectly what happens when I work on a scrappy- does it empty or reduce the bins: NO! (At least not perceptively!!) And, when the scrap bin lid is lifted those rascals run amok and try to take over!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely silk purse! Isn't it fun to see how someone else sees our fabric? I'd love to come sort your scraps. I love your log cabins. I think I'm going to make log cabins for RSC21, but I haven't started yet. Too many new projects for January! No point in me making resolutions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you can pull your cutting table into the center of the room, it will free up that wall and, as a bonus, you can walk around it to cut from a different direction.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I work on my scraps, I create more scraps it seems. I think they multiply in the dark like bunnies. Love your log cabins. I was hoping to finish up a UFO and pull out my log cabin UFO next. How great the grandson's help with the rose pruning. Many hands make light work. Glad you liked the bread. Old machines are awesome. Great learner machines and if you are just doing basic sewing, or even piecing they are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your log cabin blocks. And your temps...it's in the 20's and 30's here in Ohio. Bring on spring!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your strings overfloweth! The blocks for your new string quilt are very pretty, and your pile should yield at least several tops. So wonderful to have a granddaughter who loves to sew, I hope one day that will happen here. Your weather sounds delightful as we watch the snow accumulating and the temperature dropping, currently 21 degrees.

    ReplyDelete
  11. If you are weary of all those 1 1/2" strips you could offer them to one of your readers, who responds to your blog with a wish for them. Just make sure that they indicate they are in YOUR country to keep shipping reasonable. Or you could split the pile and give to a couple of sewing ladies. Fabric is too valuable to toss! I agree with another responder, hang your design wall from the bookshelves. That would keep the WOOFIES off of them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Everyone seems to have a different perspective on resolutions. I love them for motivation but I know they can also become "nags" so I just make them for fun and encouragement, yet I do try to stick to them to become a better person, more productive or whatever. In the end, if I'm not successful, eh...there's always next year. I agree, tho, it seems like I heard very little of them this year. Your projects are looking great and that bread! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  13. No resolutions here, don't know why? Loved seeing your log cabins....so fun knowing that you are doing them as well. Did you save me a piece of bread? I will be right over!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy New Year Mary and those scraps multiply horribly, those lil f*****s! LOL Your plan sounds like a good one and I experience plenty of "squirrel" moments here too. No resolution for me this year, just plan to continue to focus on my priorities, loves, UFO and enjoy life.

    ReplyDelete
  15. OH I had a "design bed" idea, use a flannel sheet to cover the adjoining guestroom bed. Your blocks will be visible, changeable and pet proof and hopefully they'll stay put until you make your mind up on placements as you work a quarter or half the quilt at a time. And easily folded up when or if you need the bed for guests. Just a thought as one of my girlfriends stored her 10 quilts beneath the cover quilt on a guest room bed as she lived in a smaller home and space was precious.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't think this year is about resolutions either. I typically make them. I have kept so many--except for the diet ones. LOL.

    The 1.5" strips definitely multiply. Your log cabin blocks are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I didn't even consider making a resolution this year. And I refuse to feel guilty about throwing away tiny scraps. I now cut everything down once I finish a project and have almost all my scraps wrangled. It definitely feels good to not have overflowing bins any more.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I saw that sour dough recipe as well, but forgot about it. I will have to get to that starter in the fridge soon.

    Those are some pretty tiny strips of scraps you are working with. Wowzer! The quilt gets prettier as the pieces get smaller!

    ReplyDelete