Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Farewell to 2020

 I can't say that I am one bit sorry to see 2020 ending.  It has been one crazy year that was devastating to the world we knew.  I really hope that 2021 will be a GREAT improvement.  I am definitely ready to move on and put this year to bed once and for all.  I hope that I never experience an event that will forever be recorded in history again.  Once was more than enough.

Christmas here was wonderful with family.  Like the Grinch, Covid did not stop Christmas from coming.  It may not have been as grand as normal, but it was a celebration nonetheless.  

There was a lot of Christmas sewing happening in my studio over the last month.  The granddaughters were home from college and ready to sew,  We had so many fantastic days together.  I'm sure it will take awhile to find things in my studio with the way fabrics were flying!  lol  Needless to say, I did not have much of a chance to get to my own sewing with my machines in such demand, but I did get a few things done.

One of the granddaughters loved my Grinch that I did several years ago and we ran out of time to have her do one before Christmas so I sewed one up for her as a surprise.


Jumping off from a beautiful coaster that Maria sent me, I made gift card holders for some of the grandchildren who were getting gift cards for Christmas.  


I also sewed a couple more flannel nightgowns for some of the granddaughters.  As well, there were many mask requests for the holidays.  It's fun to sew masks that reflect a person's interests. 


My Escher Cubed got completely pieced in spite of a little help from the two dogs.  I think I am going to leave the points on it when I quilt it.  They just seem to finish the design a bit better.  However, binding will be interesting.  




I'm looking forward to the new year with new projects to tackle.  What are your plans for 2021?  I have a million ideas, but just wish I had enough time in my lifetime to do them all.  

Happy new year to all.......


20 comments:

  1. Such wonderful finishes, especially your Escher Cubed top! Just wow! Happy New Year! I’m confident 2021 will be full of hope and promise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness it's mesmerizing! The Escher Cubed is sooo pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!!! I love that 3D quilt you made. Absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The three-dimensional effect you achieved with your Grinchy mini quilt is amazing. Ditto for the Escher Cubed quilt, love both of them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you, Mary, if I live to be a hundred I will never accomplish what I want to create. How fun to sew the weeks away with your granddaughters. Love the Grinch quilt. LOVE too, your Escher Cubed, it's amazing! I think everyone will not be sad to see the back of 2020. A beautiful new year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My comment disappeared so I’ll try again....
    Wonderful to have the granddaughters sew with you...
    Love ❤️ the Grinch wall hanging and a good idea 💡 to use the Christmas tree design for the gift cards....
    Amazing Escher Cubed quilt and the points look great.

    All the best for 2021....😘

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Escher quilt is beautiful! I can't wait to see it bound with the points on it. You've been busy in your sewing room!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Escher top is spectacular. All of your values are spot on for a terrific 3-D pattern. Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have you ever done facing on a quilt instead of binding? I wonder if it would work on those awesome points? I like your idea for the gift card holders. I didn't do gifts this year, so I wasn't that clever!

    ReplyDelete
  10. HI Mary, I have a great video for that binding! I'll email you the link!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have always amazed me! I am so glad you are still blogging. Your work is amazing. I know you had fun with those Grands! I am praying our 2021 is better but so far its not looking good but I am praying it will get better. It is a good thing that I love home!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy New Year to you and yours, Mary. I'm in complete agreement with you on the 2020 sentiments. Bring on a much better 2021, please! So happy to see the granddaughters sewing with you. That was a nice IG photo. Love your amazing quilt, also.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy New Year. Yes, I agree, let's sweep 2020 outta here! How wonderful that your granddaughters enjoy sewing with you. That Escher is something else! What an accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Best wishes to you and your family for a MUCH BETTER 2021!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What fun to spend time sewing with granddaughters! In my case, my grandsons are more interested than either of the granddaughters. Like you, I will not miss 2020 at all, although I have to say there have been a couple of silver linings--spending much more time with the grandkids since that are at our house two days a week for school. In a "normal" year, they would have been so busy with school, church activities, athletics, music, etc., that we would hardly see them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just have to say and I think I said it before that quilt is AWESOME....totally. I think I could stare at it forever. Just amazing. I also love the grinch.... Glad you had a wonderful Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  17. As always, I love seeing the goings on in your house. You seem to keep your sewing machine going at all hours of the day/night (good for you!). That photo of your dogs snuggled up on your quilt is really cute; it must remind them of you.

    Yes, farewell to 2020, and let's keep our eye on what makes our hearts tender at Christmas: the abiding love our Heavenly Father has for us all, no matter what. I love Christmas! Happy New Year, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful projects here; those gift card holders are just the cutest idea, I love them! So, you'll quilt the Escher with points still there and bind it that way too or square it up after quilting? (I love the points.) Goodbye 2020!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can see why she needed a Grinch quilt - so cute!
    The 3-D quilt really caught my eye with all of its great colors! It is a wonder to look at.
    Quilts, masks, nightgowns...it would seem you did it all. I bet the machine was really humming.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm not sure why I am just now seeing this post, but I LOVE your Escher quilt! I've always had a thing for tessellations and your representations is just beautiful! I think maybe I'll try one on a much smaller scale to see if I can do it any justice. Thanks for the inspiration Mary :)

    ReplyDelete