Thursday, September 10, 2020

Mid September

 It's hard to believe that we are now into the middle of September.  I might add that this last month seemed to go at breakneck speed.  Fall is in the air in spite of our record breaking heat over the weekend.  The skies are quite smoky here and there is a pinkish orange tinge to everything.  The sun has been just a pale pink spot in the sky with no sunlight peeking through.  It is quite eerie, but the fires are not near us this time.  My heart goes out to all those in the line of the fires.  


September means new blocks were made for our Gridster Bee queen this month.  This is a free block from www.stitcherydickorydock.com.  I'm looking forward to seeing Bette's (IG @beachyquilter) finished quilt.



As well, I am in a small group of fellow stitchers who have been sewing together for years now.  This year our project is call "Sow's Ears".  We were to send an unloved piece of fabric to each member and they were to create a "silk purse" from the sow's ear.  Ida sent me this incredible project.  








The detail from start to finish is amazing.  My sow's ear fabric is the pouch on the inside and the handles.  It will be such fun to grab and go for portable stitching.  Thanks so much, Ida.  

As summer winds down, it is time for the tortoises to head into hibernation.  This is our tortoise that thinks she should be a house tortoise.  Every time the door is left open, she makes her way into the house.  Need I add that the dogs find no humor in seeing this.  




I've had this little guy for several days lately and I love how he lines up his trucks and tractors.  



Lastly....the final bloom of the plumerias for the summer.  I LOVE this color so it is always worth the wait.




15 comments:

  1. Cute turtle story. I was wondering how a slow turtle can get to an open door so fast.
    Cute that your little guy lines up his trucks. I enjoy watching the littles play.
    That purse is so fun and useful. Sending off an unwanted fabric and seeing something made from it is fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely pics Mary...I really like the quilt blocks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m so glad you’re not in harms way from the fires, Mary...I did wonder if they were close by! What a year! Looks like you’re staying busy...I’m sure the turtle brings a lot of good laughter when he comes inside! What an amazing and handy silk purse! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My turtle would come inside if given the chance too! My babies are doing so well since they left the inside enclosure and spent the year in their outdoors enclosure. Love the gridster blocks! It was so much fun making your Sows Ear/Silk Purse. It was fun to make hexies again...the hexie flowers are made from your fabric too. The plumera is a gorgeous shade and love that you get time with the grands.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those fires are so scary. I’m glad they’re not too close to you. That Ida! She does make beautiful projects. That sewing pouch is wonderful and so pretty. We miss our turtles since they’re in El Paso and we’re in the Texas Hill Country. Love that cute turtle that likes to come indoors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such vivid blocks, they will make a stunning quilt...
    Oh I can see why the dogs aren't happy with the tortoise....haha!
    Busy little fella lining up his trucks and cars.
    Gorgeous colour....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your tortoise, and your stitching bag is so pretty! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It makes me wonder if the tortoise is positioned to always be watching the house for that open door.

    Glad you are not in the fire area.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness, so much fun in this post!! Your purse is just amazing! What a lovely gift for you!!! I love your blocks for September! House tortoise ... that's interesting! It really does just make itself at home, huh?! How funny!! Sweet little grandboy you've got hanging out with you! Good times!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your silk purse from Ida is wonderful! How creative of her to come up with such a useful gift for a stitcher. Love your bright and bold blocks, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is such a wonderful and creative pouch! Your blocks are always so well stitched, beautiful colours too. That is one courageous turtle. Glad to hear that you and the little guy are spending more time together. The plumerias are gorgeous, I can see why it is your favourite colour.

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  12. The silk purse is amazing! So many fun extra! What a lucky girl you are. My sister says the same thing about the smoke. So eerie. I pray for rain for you both.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My son would love to have a pet turtle.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I need your get up and go!!! Beautiful projects!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have never seen that design block but I do like it. I had to laugh about your tortoise...to cute and fun. Yep, our dog would not be happy either, he has a time fighting the chickens out of his bowl. Love that sows ear...what a cute idea and fun to share.

    ReplyDelete