Thursday, November 21, 2019

Bits and Pieces

Can you believe that Thanksgiving is next week?  The year has flown by in break neck speed.  The college kids will be home this week in time for our Thanksgiving feast.  It's such a great time of the year.  The temps have finally cooled off and we actually had a measurable (1/4") rain today.  it's certainly not enough to end our fire season, but every drop helps.  The dogs were quite amused to see moisture dropping from the sky.

 

My sewing has me jumping from one project to another lately.  While searching for another project, I discovered a tube that had a snowman kit inside of it.  I bought it years ago when a LQS was going out of business....maybe 12 years ago????  I've been very negligent in participating in Minis and More lately.  This month is a "choose your own project" so I thought it would be fun to sew up Frosty.  Be sure to check out the Minis and More Parade on December 1st on Michele's and Sherri's blogs.

It involved a lot of 1" finished squares and a fusible grid, but I think he turned out pretty cute.





Recently, Carole from My Carolina Home blog had her annual Autumn Jubilee with lots of fabulous autumn projects.  There were also many giveaways.  I was lucky enough to win The Ultimate Presser Foot Set.  I had been interested in this set for some time, but wasn't sure how it would work with my machine. You can imagine how excited I was to hear that I had won it.  Each foot is so well made and heavy duty.  I've tried several of them already and have been very pleased with them.  Included is a universal adaptor for the snap on feet.  It does not work for my Bernina, but I have a Bernina adaptor and the feet snap onto it easily.  Also included is an instructional DVD.  My goal is to try each foot in some creative sewing.




Another sweet gift came from my sister.  She recently took a trip to Japan and managed to find a charming little sewing shop.  Just look at the TINY little treasures she found.  The detail on these pins is nothing short of incredible - a ruler, measuring tape, pin cushion, thread and scissors.  I am holding up a red glass head pin so you can get some perspective of the size of these little gems.



Check out this amazing wooden needle case with pincushion, thread, needles and snips inside the beautiful wooden box.



Lastly, she brought back some beautiful fabrics.



The annual Bonnie Hunter QAL is quickly approaching.  I've sorted through my fabric bins and have pulled out fabrics that may work for it.  The first clue comes out in a little over a week.  Are you joining this year?



A small wall hanging was finished as well.  This was a pattern from Urban Elementz,  It was fun to pull out all my wild prints.



Motivated by so many working on Jen Kingwell's,  My Small World, I have jumped aboard and started one myself.  Section 1 and 2 are completed.



Continuing on with my "hopping around", I attempted rope bowls.  I've seen so many pretty ones and decided to give them a try.  This was such a fun project and I am so pleased with the way they turned out.


We had little ones over the weekend.  This one kept me jumping.  



19 comments:

  1. Hi Mary lovely post,love your beautiful work and what a cutie this little guy is xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your little guy is adorable! Looks like you've been having fun with a lot of smaller projects, something I hope to do in December (how crazy am I? LOL) Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much good stuff! I hope your fire season stops soon, as ours has already started. Your rope bowls are so elegant!
    I'm still undecided about Frolic colours. Pretty soon I will just have to make a decision and stick to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you have been working on lots of fun little projects. The pins and sewing kit are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The tall Frosty is super. The wall hanging is different!
    Love your bowls and great work on MSW..
    Your sis sent your fabulous wee gifts to you from her travels.
    Fun win, enjoy trying out all the different feet.
    What an adorable little one visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Mary, you are busy there. Love that snowman, and your bowls! Your gifts are super cute...as that little man.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mary you have been super busy. The snowman is fabulous. Oh the pins, and the sewing kit are divine. I am going to attempt to frolic along. So much eye candy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. we are expecting a greatgrand! it will make us 17

    ReplyDelete
  9. treasures one and all. The pins... so cool. It's so far beyond cool here in CO... we're on our 9th snow in a month and a half.
    That baby is adorbs. LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are THE prettiest rope bowls I've seen....did you use a pattern? Was there a specific tutorial you used? They are just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your rope bowls and that snowman is pretty cute too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lots of fun happenings. Love that snowman in a tube. I've never seen anything like it. So cute. Have a lovely Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your puppies look adorable by the door. Love your varied sewing projects. Each so unique. The rope bowl are really beautiful. Hope you are having a wonderful Thanksgiving week, Mary! It must be exciting to have everyone over.

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  14. As always I love your post but why why did you have to show Madam Sew sewing feet? I have been trying to resist that for months..... I do hope you enjoy sewing with them. Let me know what you do and which foot you use.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Howdy HOwdy! HOw have you been? I have been great. Your posts are always a joy to read. They tell so much about your happy world of sewing among other things. I think that snowman is so wonderful! It is a great thing that you found Frosty hidden away and finished him up! Now you can enjoy him ever winter season.

    The presser foot set is a wonderful win. HOw fun. I have not heard of it.

    The bowls are so WONDERFUL! I should learn how to make them, but I have enough projects for now. Perhaps some day. Also, you have a darling little man eating at your house. Those little ones do keep us busy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well look at me.......not only have I dropped the ball on posting to my own blog but it's January 2020 and I am commenting on your November post! I love the snowman tube! Isn't it fun when we are "cleaning" out our sewing room and run across a hidden treasure from "way back when"? I hope you and your family had wonderful holiday times together and wish you blessings in the new year. I am scrambling to find some new patterns for pot holders!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my goodness!!! I thought everybody had quit blogging!!! I am so glad you are still here. Thanks for visiting mine. I have really missed it. I am going to try my best to do more on my blog. Love seeing all your pictures. That's what I have to learn is how to load pictures on computer again. Got too spoiled to my phone and facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just wow! Rope bowls, too? They are exquisite! How is your Small World coming along?

    ReplyDelete