Wednesday, May 29, 2019

The Arrival of June

How can it be?  The midpoint of the year is just around the corner.  I guess it's time to start Christmas shopping.

Before May slips away, however, we celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary!  It seems like only yesterday that we were walking down the aisle, saying our "I do's" and starting our new life together.  I'd do it all again in a moment.  It has been a fabulous fifty years.

Now, fifty years later, our eldest granddaughter will be walking down the aisle and starting her new life as a wife.  It has been a busy few weeks of preparation for it.  I've altered three bridesmaid dresses, made the veil and the flower girl dress, all fun and creative sewing.




June is my month as the bee queen in our Gridster Bee.  The block I have chosen is called Star String and is found at Wombat Quilts.  My first blocks arrived from Nancy (IG @patchworkbreeze).  From the looks of these, this is going to be such a fun month.



More non quilting sewing included making a linen stole for a dear priest friend of ours who is celebrating his Silver Jubilee next week.  I wanted to use the metallic threads in the embroidery machine, but I know how difficult they can be, especially at high speeds.  I used the Superior metallic threads and I had NO problem at all with them.  I have used them in quilting with great success too. If you haven't used them before, I highly recommend them.




I actually made it reversible so he can use it when he celebrates his Golden Jubilee.  The front side is in silver and the back is in gold.  It has been a standing joke between us so I am sure he will get a chuckle when he sees it.



I did manage to finish the last three blocks for the BlooM SAL.  Hopefully, I will have time to get the sashing sewn in place and get them all sewn together soon.



The month of May has been so unseasonably cold for us, but some of the spring growth continues in the garden.  The epiphylliums are blooming and are always showstoppers.





A pineapple has set in the pineapple garden too.  This plant is about three years old now.  I start my plants by using the tops of the pineapples that we eat.


Momma tortoise laid her eggs despite the cold weather.


A final picture...….I was at our daughter's home watching the little ones earlier this week.  This little guy had no fear of the vacuum and loved to have the girls use it on him.




27 comments:

  1. Congratulations to both your hubby and you on fifty happy years together....
    What a great time for your eldest granddaughter to marry.. Best wishes to the young couple.
    Beautiful Bridesmaid dress and lovely embroidery on the sash....
    Lovely Bee Swap Blocks. They will make a fabulous quilt..
    Both the Bloom blocks and real ones are gorgeous..
    How long for the Turtle eggs to hatch ??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mary wow congrats on your 50th wedding anniversary what an awesome milestone.
    Love the dress,how lovely a wedding to look forward to.
    Lovely work my friend and your flowers are so pretty.
    Lol how funny is your cute little grandson xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at those sweet turtle eggs; how fabulous. Such a pretty bridesmaid dress and isn't that sash regal. Good idea to embroider both sides. Your bee blocks are a colourful lot and I always love seeing your BlooM blocks. They will look lovely all gathered together. Isn't your epiphylliums a glorious plant. Congratulations to you and your husband on celebrating 50 years of married. How wonderful that you would do it all again....sounds like wedded bliss to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations and Happy Anniversary!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many happy events in this post. Happy 50th!!!! That's definitely something to celebrate. Congrats. Enjoy your granddaughter's wedding too. The flower girl dress is so sweet. Love how you turned your priest's stole into double duty for the next 25 years. Wish him my best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on all the happy events going on in your life!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Anniversary and Best Wishes to the young couple as well! Love your confidence and support of your Priest friend, what a wonderful thing to see that and your wedding sewing - such great projects!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Anniversary! You are blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, May is just about winked out for sure. I can't believe it. I blinked and poof! Time flies, it seems. Congrats on your anniversary and the upcoming wedding of your granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on your 50th wedding anniversary. My husband and I are celebrating our 47th soon and I too would do it all again in a moment. It was fun to see how you have been busy this month with sewing and family and your garden. I hope to get back to blogging and soon, you continue to inspire.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would call this one of your happiest posts ever: celebrating a 50th wedding anniversary, helping with the marriage of a granddaughter, beautiful blooms in the garden, some sewing and tortoise eggs. Wow! I loved the 25/50 embroidery on the stole for the priest, and appreciate how your talents are being used to bless others, as well as beautify your home. Thank for you all you do and share—
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations Mary and your hubby on your 50th Anniversary. What a blessing to be with each other for those years. Enjoy your granddaughters wedding day. Thank you for sharing your sewing and garden pics. God Bless xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very Happy Anniversary to both you, and how exciting that your granddaughter is getting married soon. Lovely photos and sewing finishes. I specially love the flower dress you made. So clever of you to add the petals.

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy anniversary!

    There are so many lovely things in this post I don't know what to comment on. I enjoyed it all!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, 50 years! Happy Anniversary! Love your applique blocks, and oh, tortoise eggs! How cool is that! xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy 50th Anniversary. Love your queen bee blocks, and I spy a Michigan mug rug! Gorgeous flowers. Love the flower girl dress! More tortoises! Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your talents are endless....

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations on your 50th! Times flies, doesn't it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your bloom is blossoming too. We are all nearing the end so I thank you for sewing along.
    HaPPy anniversary...and sending all the best to the next newlywed couple too...xox

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy Anniversary! That is awesome!
    So happy and excited for the young couple. The dresses you created are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fifty years! My, oh my! Congratulations! I’ll bet your priest was very appreciative of your awesome efforts! You did a beautiful job. I’m loving your bloom blocks. I love applique but I 'm not to fussy for the prep work! So simple shapes only, for me.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Mary, happy anniversary! In this age of fast food and instant gratification, I'm always very proud of those of us who have gone the distance and are happy with our choices. You have been busy with all that sewing! And I sure cannot believe we are in the month of June. Wow, this year is zipping by.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Time to publish another post! You are missed!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hard to believe June is almost over. Happy 50th Anniversary! Your family is amazing and such a wonderful example for others. We have had a very mild Summer...so far. Love your projects and blocks dear. Summer Sunshine Smiles...

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi, I enjoyed this post very much...so many good things. I love that bridesmaid's dress and that little guy is very cute. You have done lots of stitching of blocks too...also cute. Hope your 50th was splendid. Happy Stitching!

    ReplyDelete