Saturday, November 4, 2017

MIA

I have been MIA for so long on this old blog.  The longer you are gone, the harder it is to come back because there is too much to catch up.

October is gone like a blur and November is upon us.  It always seems like once Halloween arrives, Christmas is right behind.

October was a milestone birthday month for me.  It passed so fast that I didn't even notice a difference!  It just sounds much older.  ;-(  It also helped that I brought the new decade in on a riverboat cruise on the Rhine.  The trip was amazing with positively picture perfect temperatures for the entire two weeks we were gone.

Once I got home, it was pedal to the metal catching up while adjusting to the nine hours time difference.

One project that I have wanted to finish were two Quilts of Valor.  These two quilts are for two very special vets - my two uncles.  One is 90 and one is 92 years of age and I am looking forward to presenting the quilts to them in person for Veteran's Day.  The pictures were taken in bright sunlight so are a bit overexposed, but the colors are truer on the lower photos.





The last one was a Fons and Porter pattern, but there is a major measurement error.  The red and blue star fabrics should both be cut at 9 7/8 inch rather than cutting the red at 6 7/8".  Fortunately, I figured that out before cutting it.

Another important and fun project was a footprint quilt for the K-1 class at the grandchildren's academy.  They have their big gala auction in a few weeks at the Reagan Library.  The little ones were so much fun to work with as they made their blocks.




One last bit of October sewing was a late request for a mallard duck costume.  The head would typically be green, but the green scarf gives a suggestion of a green head.  Right?



Halloween was crazy here with a Dodger World Series game on and the kids heading out for trick or treating.  We had a total of four little ones in one group come to the door.  Now.... we have lots of leftover candy.  Oh well.  Someone has to deal with it.

Our son showed up in a great costume.  It was hysterical when he flung those two extra legs around.



These are three of the little Ghostbusters that fit into the costumes I made for them.


Tonight is the night to turn the clocks back an hour.  Check out this fabulous clock that I picked up on our trip for my sewing studio.  I love it!





Linking up with Quilt Fabrication and Freemotion by the River.

29 comments:

  1. What a wonderful trip for your special BD... Nice and relaxing.. Love the clock...
    Both the Velour Quilts are fabulous and your dear Uncles will love them.
    The Footprints quilt is gorgeous, what a great idea..
    Great costume your son wore and the Ghost-busters are sew cute....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all your happy news. Congratulations on your special birthday year. Sounds like you had a great cruise. The kids look great in their costumes, as does your son. You have been very busy. I'm sure your two uncles will be delighted with their quilts. Love the clock. Just perfect for a sewing room.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Milestone Birthday! Sounds like a wonderful trip, you were sailing down the Rhine about the same time the owner of the LQS was doing the same thing. Loved your ghostbuster costumes. The QOV are great too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy late birthday, some great quilts you showed

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy late birthday...cruising the Rhine sounds like a wonderful way to celebrate any birthday. All three quilts are great and so special.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You certainly have been busy! Happy belated birthday, and congrats on finishing all those wonderful projects...the quilts are gorgeous and the costumes are perfect! Beautiful children!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What sweet little ghost-busters! I love your son's getup for Halloween! The children's footprint mangers are totally adorable, what a beautiful idea! You've obviously been very busy these last couple weeks, not unusual for you I know.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness look at all those fabulous projects .... totally love them

    Glad you had fun in your birthday month, was mine too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a lovely post. Loved the 2 quilts of valor, plus, the Ghostbusters costumes, and of course, the mallard duck! Everything looks so fun, including your wall clock!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy birthday! I'm really admiring your QOVs. I'm sure your uncles will be so happy with them :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy belated birthday! I love when you catch us up on your events. Those Ghostbusters are the cutest! That clock...I want one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Happy Belated!! I know what you mean about it being hard to get back into blogging because I've been pretty out of the loop this year as well. Slowly, slowly trying to reestablish a blogging routine.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A Very Happy Belated Birthday to you, Mary! The two Quilts of Valor are beautiful! How amazing you are to make them for your uncles. Didn’t you make a footprint quilt last year too? You probably smile a lot while quilting them. The duck costume is adorable and so are the cute little Ghostbusters! Your son’s costume made me laugh out loud. However did you manage to find such perfect clock for your sewing room. I love your posts so much, they always make me smile :)

    -Soma xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy belated birthday, sounds like you had a wonderful trip to celebrate .Your quilts are gorgeous and your uncle's will be so pleased . Cute costumes too 😊

    ReplyDelete
  15. It sounds like you had a fabulous time away - belated special birthday wishes :-) Your Quilts of Valour are both lovely and will be well received, I'm sure. Very cute footprints quilt -
    I havne't seen one like that before! Love the fun that you had with dressing up and so on!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! So happy you had a great time. What a wonderful tribute to your two uncles. I love those quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great post. Your trip sounds like something my husband and I would love to do. Your quilts are fabulous. I love what you made for the class, the blocks are super cute. Did you have a pattern or just think of the idea? I have been tempted by a similar clock, if it is still there the next time I am at the shop I should pick it up. I do not have a clock in my sewing room to remind me that I might want to think about doing something else. Oh, and great costumes!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So glad to see a post from you again.......and you are right....once you get away from blogging it is so difficult to get back to it........I made a couple of Halloween costumes and never did get the time to post them! I love the Valor Quilts.......did your Uncles love them? So sad that we are slowly losing the last of that "greatest generation"......I am off to try to get my postcard made today and mailed out to you!....But no worries....I still have 4 days.....lol......

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hope you had a wonderful birthday! The quilts for your uncles are wonderful and sure to be appreciated. Looks like Halloween was fun at your house. We ended up with way to much candy also. That I ended up eating too much of.
    Your little clock is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You son is hysterical. How lucky are those grandkids to have such a talented and giving Grandma. I know those quilts will mean so much not only because they're made from the heart but because you can also deliver them in person. Those footprints are absolutely darling! Such a special way to spend a special birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You certainly have been busy! Fabulous projects, Mary !!! I really love the second one.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my, those ghostbusters! How cute and adorable do they all look?!!! I love it. I have always wanted to do a Rhine River cruise . . . I was on a short one (hours) near the mermaid rock in Germany several years ago, and always wanted to return. That footprint quilt is so adorable. Look at those little feet. I bet it will be a big seller at the auction. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  23. Welcome back and happy belated birthday! Your quilts of valor quilts are wonderful and I know your uncles will enjoy them. That is the neatest sewing machine clock!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lucky you figured out the error on the Fons and Porter quilt! I typically make things my own way anyway but that is way off.

    Your quilts of valor quilts are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Glad to see you back. I have always wanted to do one of the river cruises in Europe. Glad to hear it was great. The clock is a perfect keepsake from the trip and looks great.

    Your quilts of valor are beautiful. How did your Uncles like them?

    ReplyDelete
  26. I forgive your absence, as I've been on the Rhine and it's just so beautiful! We loved the surrounding towns - I definitely would like to visit again. Take your time getting back in the swing of things. Quilting is not meant to be rushed!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love all the quilts! Send me an email, I have something for you!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I really love your QOVs. I'm sure your uncles loved them too.

    I can't find my blogging mojo. I am just now trying to catch up with some of my favorites...yours included.

    ReplyDelete
  29. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete