Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Resurfacing

We have had such a fabulous two weeks with our house guests, but all good things must come to an end.  As they flew back "over the pond" overnight, our household seemed very quiet this morning.  It is now time to get back to the normally scheduled programming.  I feel as though I have been out of touch with blogging and will catch up as time allows.

While the guys were away on the links, the gals were home and busily sewing up a storm, shopping and just having fun catching up.  I must say that I worried that all of the fun would not fit into the suitcases at the end of the day, but with bags bulging at all corners we bid our farewells.

So.....what did we sew????  Quilts, quilts and more quilts - all completed except the binding which can be done at a relaxing pace in England.


Goodnight Irene - a quilt she has wanted to make for sometime and it was lovely.


This one was gorgeous in a pink/green batik.



The hearts were for her niece who will be getting married this year.  It was a Moda Bake Shop pattern that we were both terribly discouraged with it in the end.  The hearts are designed to be sidewards if you follow the instructions.  A small twist would have made them upright as the photos on the site show.  Also the measurements were way off - a full 12".  The heart rows were also 2" off in their measurements - a much bigger challenge than expected and very disappointing.



This zig zag quilt is done with squares and really gave us another challenge, but turned out so beautifully.  We were both seeing zig zags by the time we were finished.

While our friends were here, their daughter Skyped with them on Mother's Day (in the UK) to tell them they were going to be grandparents again.  Of course we had to add another quilt with soft minky fabric on the back.



As well, during the last week my sister who lives in Alaska came down and we had a fun day quilting her scrap quilt.  The colors (pinks, purples, blues and greens) in the photos do not do this one justice, but it was gorgeous - both front and back.  She did an amazing job on it.



I have loads more to post, but will close this one off with some final pictures of the growing hummingbirds.



They have now "flown the coop", but low and behold, a new hummingbird nest was discovered in a plant on my mom's back patio so the fun begins again.


26 comments:

  1. OMG! You've been so busy. 5 quilts in 2 weeks! Wow! I'm glad you had such a wonderful time with your friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done! You had pedal to the metal! I'll bet you are pooped after two weeks.
    Did you see your block I made for you? It's in the mail : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a busy time for you. So many quilts that you have finished, and each one with their own special style. What a wonderful friend you are to have helped in creating these for all those special people. I hope they will treasure your time and talent. The birds are so cute. Don't you just love spring?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Busy and happy times with all those gorgeous quilts to show for your hours together. Hummingbirds are so endearing, what a blessing to have the nests nearby and watch their babies grow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow so many gorgeous quilts. The bunny quilting is very cute. You ladies are quilting machines.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is some serious quilt time with so many beauties completed! Perhaps the Moda Bake Shop designer needed a Supreme? :o) I can't wait to be able to sit and sew with my very dear friend, Mrs. Squash! Birds are chirping here and daffodils are blooming. Oh how I love Spring Awakening.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Mary!!!!! You had so much fun ...better than finding someone's retreat!!!! Lol. Good for you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are all amazing quilts. I'm very surprised at the mistakes in the Moda Bakeshop pattern, although I've sewn only a few of them.

    The hummingbirds are a sign of Spring and all things new again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The best! Having company who love to quilt as much as you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful way for your friend ,sister and you to spend time. Making beautiful quilts...I am sure they were very happy to take their quilts home nearly completed...
    How cute are those hummingbirds. Lucky you to have watched them grow and fly the coop. Nice to have discovered another nest..

    ReplyDelete
  11. What beautiful quilts! You and your friend were VERY busy. It's so much fun to sew with a friend. I'm glad they all fit into her suitcase.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! So much fun creativity in just two weeks! You girls have been busy. They are all beautiful. The two hummingbirds fit in that one tiny nest?! So sweet! Have fun watching the new one. Your mom's garden must be very peaceful.

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  13. Goodness! Lots of fun sewing and quilting you enjoyed with your pal!Lovely projects. Cute baby hummers! I will put out a hummer feeder next month.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have been missing you Mary. Glad you had fun with your visitors. You certainly made many quilts together! You made more quilt in two weeks than I make in many year! I bet Irene was flying home happy! Hugs Nat

    ReplyDelete
  15. You got so much accomplished!! You have some real beauties there. And how discouraging to follow a pattern and then have such problems with it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What gorgeous quilts......even the "disappointing" one is lovely! I really love the back of the scrap quilt......Goodnight Irene has always been a favorite of mine.....and throughout all the work you got done I know you had a fabulous time with your guest....."Irene".........

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow you got a lot done. I don;t know that I could be so productive with a friend and houseguest.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! You were busy! Love the quilting on the baby quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mary it is just amazing how much fun you packed into the visits with your friend and sister! So many great quilts! Wow! It must be wonderful to have quilting friends come and stay like that. Hey my brother lives in Fairbanks. Where does your sister live?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow ! You had a lot of work, Mary !!!! 5 quilts in 2 weeks???? How it is possible? During a month I make only one and as always I am soooo busy :(
    Your quilts are awesome !!!!! You are very talented !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am jealous! why does it take me YEARS what you gals got done in a few weeks? Can I come to your house to play? LOL
    those hummingbirds are so adorable. how sweet that you get to see them grow.

    ReplyDelete
  22. How wonderful to spend time with far away company and get to sew and be creative. Sew many lovely quilts in such a short amount of time. I can imagine how truly beautiful they are in person. Wow! Embracing Creative Bliss...

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love that you had company visit and quilting too! They are awesome quilts and oh the frosting on the one...looks like bunnies....did you quilt that one...who is the designer of that quilt motif? Adorable!

    Hummers...a nest...babies...Spring doesn't get any better! They are so stinkin cute....I'd be out there all the time watching!

    Did you see the Eagle Cam?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, but you've been productive! I loved having my very own quilt show this morning, as I ease back into blogs and blogging and reading my fill of wonderful blogs (yours is at the top of the list). Knowing how I had to sit on my suitcase to get it shut after our trip to Spain, I'm totally impressed that you were able to get any quilts in your friend's--that shows our determination. So, congrats on so many wonderful finishes!
    :) Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete