Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Inside and Outside

We have been enjoying such lovely spring weather and it has drawn me outside more and more.  The weeds are plentiful after all of our lovely rains this winter.  Sigh!  It seems like an endless job.

The amaryllis that live outside are all blooming now.  I do enjoy bringing them inside when they bloom so I grow them in pots.  These are a few of my favorite.





The Clivia are also in full bloom.





Of course, yard work does not come without heart attack risks when one comes across something like this.



Thankfully, it is a non poisonous gopher snake, but it is the biggest one that I have ever seen and hope to never see it again.

One other garden news is that my big prickly pear cactus has a cochineal infestation on it.  I am so excited about that as I am "dyeing" to try some eco-dyeing using them.  Yesterday I harvested some of the insects and although I have not yet ground them down, the water turned such a pretty color when I boiled them before setting them out to dry. 





There has been a bit of sewing going on too.  The Gridster Bee block for April is a patriotic one for Nancy at Patchwork Breeze.



My turn for being the bee queen is coming up in June so I have been thinking about what to do.  I played around a bit with this block.



Together they form stars in each corner.  It might take some organization, but I do like the way it is growing.  The pattern can be found HERE.



I am late in getting my BLooM block done this time, but done it is.  The next one is due this weekend.  Better get going on it.




Next Monday I will be participating in the Be a Diamond blog hop.  That project is finished and I am excited to see all of the upcoming diamond projects.



Look at these cute carrot cakes.  Wouldn't they be fun (and delicious) for a sewing party?



I hope all who celebrate have a blessed Easter.





19 comments:

  1. Cochineal, how cool is that! Looking forward to seeing how it dyes some yarn/fabric for you! I had no idea they were gathered from prickly pear cactus. Your amaryllis are fabulous too. I think I'm going to look at that pattern for your bee blocks. Another squirrel in the making...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your amaryllis are beautiful! I love the colour that the cochineal make.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I saw a snake like that in my yard or garden I might just give up gardening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Mary...beautiful pics! I just the your Queen blocks

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't imagine being able to grow amaryllis outside. Yours are gorgeous! And great idea to grow them in pots so you can bring them inside and enjoy them. You can keep the snake.... we have enough of our own. :( I love, love, love your choice for Gridster Bee quilt block. You all come up with some really cool blocks to make.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It really is a beautiful spring this year with all the green and blooming :-)
    You show some lovely blocks. I really like the star block you are thinking of for your bee block. Fun, fun background fabrics with those beautiful bursts of the different colors.
    Have a wonderful Resurrection Day there! I hope you get to see lots of your family to enjoy it. We are celebrating almost every day here. My sister has moved to Cambria! She is staying with us till her escrow closes next week. Her health is good and she found a fantastic house. God has really blessed her!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your hippeastrums look stunning! (That's what those flowers are called in this part of the world). I was so inspired by your photos that I bought myself a couple of hippeastrums at a nursery today.

    Bloom is coming long nicely. I also haven't done any this fortnight yet, so I need to get sewing before Saturday. But it is fun to see everyone's tops growing as we sew along.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely flowers, alas we only have daffodils right now but I am thankful that the snow is gone and the rains have stopped. Your blocks are very pretty thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your Amaryllis look beautiful. How wonderful you can enjoy them inside. Oh my goodness, I simply don't do snakes. =) Thankfully, it slithered away. All your blocks are looking fabulous. Another pretty BLooM block. The Gridster block is striking. Those cupcakes are such fun. May you enjoy a lovely Easter, Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sew many beautiful blooms at your house both flowers and Blocks..
    Yek! don't like that snake even if it's not venomous..
    Lovely patriotic block and the one you've chosen looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Only a master gardener like you would know what to do with a Cochineal infestation. Very cool to see that water all turn red! So much fun gardening news (except for that snake); your flowers are so beautiful, Mary.

    I LOVE your idea for Gridsters, and hope that it will be our block. I picked up some fun background prints while up here in Utah, and look forward to using some of them. All your blocks look terrific, and I look forward to seeing your diamond project.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lots of inspiration here! I had no idea about that type of dye that could be made from something known as an infestation! I love, love, love the pattern that you linked with the stars forming at the intersections of the block corners. I may just have to give that a try! 😉

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would love to have more info on the dyeing of the cactus stuff. have never heard of it....looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh the dye. Exciting!!! I'm just back from CA and the desert looked like someone spray painted it yellow. Gorgeous. The yuccas and joshua trees were blooming like I've never seen before. And the purple wildflowers mixed in with the yellow was beauteous. With all of the rain the weeds were also plentiful. And it's been a long time since I've seen the cactus in bloom like this trip. I always love seeing your sewing projects. Happy Easter to you Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So many pretty things in this post sans the snake. I do not like them one little bit. But I do like the star blocks with the black and white background prints. Will make a fabulous quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful flowers, um the snake not so much. Loved your post from your trips. Great bee blocks. I had to go look up Cochineal. Interesting so you boiled bugs to use to make dye? Can't wait to see what you make with it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Weeds are the bane of a gardener! Gorgeous flowers though! I am so intrigued by the cochineal. Beautiful shade of red. Is the dye permanent? I love seeing your red-white-blue blocks. I like the bee block you made for yourself too, specially your choice of colours and the background fabrics. The bloom collection is growing beautifully. Love seeing your work, Mary! :)

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such beautiful amaryllis! I've never heard of making a dye from insects! That's amazing, and amazingly creative! Weed is a four-letter word, you know. Trying to take advantage of cool temps here to take care of them--I don't mind them as much as long as it's not hot and humid!

    ReplyDelete