Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Best Laid Plans

Remember all of that sewing time that I was planning on while our floors were being refinished?  What was I thinking?   The first few days were okay, in spite of all the noise from the sanding machines, etc.  After that they suggested we leave the house because of the fumes and inability to walk on the floors.  I am glad to say that they finished up this morning and now it is cleaning and putting everything back where it belongs.  UGH!

So....what did we do when we had to leave?  We took a spur of the moment road trip.  We headed out to Las Vegas to visit some dear friends who moved there several years ago.  We stayed in Vegas for two days and enjoyed some rather cool and tropical weather.  It was a joy to see thunderstorms and enjoy a bit of rain in the desert.




I would love to know more geology so I could tell you about the different colored layers in the mountains and just how long ago it happened.  It would be so interesting.

From there we drove to Death Valley, stopping in at Ash Meadows Wildlife Refuge along the way.  Ash Meadows is located just a short distance from Death Valley and is an oasis in the middle of the hottest, driest desert in North America.  They had a lovely visitor center about 8 miles down a gravel road.  We were the only visitors at the beautiful facility.  What a shame!  I was amazed to see so much water in the desert.  The colors in the pools of water were gorgeous and they were homes to tiny little puff fish, an endangered species.





Death Valley was toasty warm at 114* when we pulled into the Inn for the evening.   We enjoyed a pretty sunset overlooking the desert.



It was still warm when we left a little after 6 a.m. the next morning.



What sewing did I get done during the mess?  I finished a fall table runner for Sara who is in our Sewing With Friends swap.



I also got all the blocks sewn together for my Sea and Sand quilt.



Lastly, I did some mindless sewing, adding 20 more blocks to my selvage block project.



I also caught up on my Temperature Quilt.  The reds were making an appearance for a few days, but we are back in the low 80s again - back to the rusty reds.



The last of my Gridster Bee blocks arrived from Afton.  She actually made me EIGHT blocks for my month!  I am excited about getting this quilt made with all of the gorgeous hearts that I received in the month of June.



My computer was stored away in a room with no access during the refinishing so it is nice to have it out again.  I have missed following blogs.

This is what my house has looked like.


No cooking!!!!


Even Toby is glad to have things back to a more normal living situation again.








20 comments:

  1. The desert photos are gorgeous and 114 degrees is pretty hot! What projects you were able to work on are beautiful. I especially like your Sea and Sand quilt. We are going to need to have our floors refinished in the not too distant future and I don’t look forward to It! I’m glad yours are behind you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what a great post,love those pics of the thunder clouds ,thankyou for sharing your beautiful pics,what a pretty place to visit. And boy you have done some beautiful work,well done my friend xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was an adventure - I enjoyed the photos. It was rather Hot so early in the morning!!!!! Enjoy getting back to normal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are doing house renovations too...unfortunately, all the plumbing did not get finished....oh well. I like all your beautiful projects.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your desert photos are gorgeous, as are your in-progress quilting projects and that bit of newly finished floor you showed in the last photo. So nice to have it done, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad that things are getting back to "normal." Toby sure looks relaxed and happy. Glad that you were able to have a get away in the midst of the chaos and even able to accomplish some amazing quilting. Glad to have you back online with us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great progress!
    Your Sea & Sand quilt is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The storm pictures are magnificent! What great idea to escape during the floor re-surfacing. They do look beautiful...especially with your pup on them :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What gorgeous pics! Glad you are on the other side of your home project :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your road trip sounds like a fun time. The pictures are of some amazing sights, so pretty. The floors look great, you must be thrilled with them.

    You stayed very rpoductive in spite of the disruption. My temperature blocks are red, red and red! ugh

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd say you made pretty good use of your time! And darn, no cooking. What a shame. Gosh, when we were in Vegas a couple of years ago, it was only 102! You would have been cold at that temp.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A road trip sounds like a perfect way to avoid the dust and disruption of renovations.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great pictures. Glad you could get away. I am sure that Toby is happy to be back home also.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow--those last couple of photographs equal the first two in terms of the "oh wow" factor, but I have to admit liking the landscapes with those dramatic clouds the best.

    And even yet the house was in disarray, you managed to keep the sewing going--an inspiration to us all. Our heat out here would make you a happy camper, that's for sure. Not quite like what you received at Death Valley, but certainly high enough to put more deep reds into your quilt, which is coming along so beautifully.

    I loved this "visit" with you--glad you are back!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You've still got a lot done!! Your pictures of the desert are beautiful.. makes me miss Arabia :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. So enjoyed the pictures of your little trip. All of your projects are so wonderful as always.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You got a lot of sewing done considering what was going on at your house. Looks like some beautiful photos from your travels in Las Vegas and Death Valley. You were brave to visit Death Valley in the Summer!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely to see your travel photos. We have finally made it to St. George and are unpacking for two weeks now. Your sewing is very special and amazing you got anything done while floor renovations were being done. JOYful July Dear...<3

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's hard to imagine cool and tropical weather in Las Vegas at this time of the year. The sky looks so dramatic. Beautiful capture, Mary! Thanks for sharing the info on Ash Meadows, will definitely make a visit there during the colder months. 114C! Yikes! You have some many gorgeous projects in the making. Looks like you will have them all done around the same time. Poor Toby! That photo of him really says it all.

    -Soma xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. The desert is very special to me, although I've never been to Death Valley. Just the name has always made me leery. Love the desert sky. You're sewing projects are pretty. I love the selvedge strings. Always fun. I hope Toby has recuperated from his disrupted house.

    ReplyDelete