Wednesday, November 19, 2014

One More Week

In just one short week, many of our homes will be filled with the smell of turkey cooking.  It is a great time of the year, but I must say that I enjoy the leftovers more.  I suppose it might be that we are too busy entertaining to think about enjoying the food.

With Thanksgiving being so late this year, Christmas will be right behind.  I managed to finish the latest Christmas stocking this week. 

Nov. 19, 2014 401

When I do the cross stich stockings I like to use a fusible interfacing on the back to make sure that all of those stitches will stay in place over the years of use.  As well, I like to line my Christmas stockings.  Since this one had such a vintage feel to it, I found a fabric that also had a vintage feel to it.

Nov. 19, 2014 390

This past week Kelly at I Have a Notion had a blog hop featuring Patsy Thompson’s embroidery designs.   Kelly was doing the most beautiful table runner.  Well…..I won the designs in her hop and I have been playing with them.  I have stitched these out on silk and I love the way they have stitched out.  The colors are a bit off, but I hope to get a better picture of them once I get the piece finished.  Aren’t the feathers stunning?
 
Nov. 19, 2014 388
Nov. 19, 2014 392
Nov. 19, 2014 393
Nov. 19, 2014 394

My mom, sister and I went to visit the Reagan Library this week.  They have a couple of new displays going on right now, one being famous cars from films, presidents and Heads of State.   It was fun to see them up close.  Here are a few of them.

reagan lib 4
Herbie
reagan lib 5
Owned by Elvis
reagan lib.
Batmobile
reagan lib 3
Greased Lightening
The other display was California Christmas Trees.  These were fabulous.  They reflected all of the different areas of California.  Each was so unique and fun.  The room was a little dark for pictures, but this is one of them.  Love the surfboard!

IMG_0034

In my quest to quilt my stack of finished tops, I have managed to get one more off the pile this week.  The pile, however, still remains tall.

Nov. 19, 2014 361
Nov. 19, 2014 362

30 comments:

  1. Lucky Sebastion! What a lovely stocking. And your embroidery feathers are awesome! It looks like you're totally enjoying the time leading into the holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today I was just thinking the same thing that you said in the first paragraph. The battle to get all of the food to the table at the right temperature keeps me from really enjoying the meal but I love the leftovers to make a week of easy cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The stocking is amazing. I love it.
    You did a beautiful job on it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boy my stack stays tall too! No matter how many I finish, there are always about a million crying out, "Me next!" Love your little quilt, so sweet :) And the stocking is an heirloom already! I've always loved anything Patsy Thompson does - you make her feathers look so easy :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your stocking is beautiful! My pile is down to three, but I will soon be adding three more to it. Never ends.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your newest stocking finish! Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know in one week we will all be enjoying each other and us the cooks, cold food! Love the stocking. You picked out a perfect lining. It was fun to try to guess the cars. Also the embroidery work is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your stocking is gorgeous! Have a lovely thanksgiving

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sebastian's Christmas stocking is gorgeous and you have chosen the perfect fabric to line it with.
    Lovely feathers.
    Looks like you had a really fun day out.

    Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What fabulous cars! I was looking for James Bond's 2CV but I suppose you can't have everything! I wish I could do feathers like that - ah well - must keep trying!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That stocking is simply stunning! It's going to be a family heirloom for sure. And yes, that embroidery is beautiful done on silk. I wouldn't have thought of using silk but wow! I've saved the pattern for that Eat, Sleep...baby quilt. I really want to make that one! blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful stocking! Love the Christmas toile fabric...have some too! Very pretty embroidery work on the silk too. Pillow or jacket in the making? Wonderful displays sounds like a fun day out. Cute quilt! I enjoy the next day turkey with Swiss sandwich best!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your stocking and the lining fabric is gorgeous too! The feathers look like fun! Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful stocking and the feathers on silk are gorgeous! The finished quilt looks very cute, so colourful! Those are such fun cars and surfboard by a Christmas tree, Huh? How authentic :)

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the shepherd stocking. My hubby and boys would love the cars. And congrats on a wonderful finish!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The stocking turned out beautifully and the lining fabric is the perfect complement. I can't believe the holidays are right around the corner. I'm with you on the leftovers...normally I don't like eating leftovers but thanksgiving is the one exception! I bet you're cooking for an army?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Now that's an heirloom stocking! Gorgeous, Mary and you did chose the perfect lining. The embroidery is gorgeous - I can imagine a table runner or even a stocking with it. How nice to be able to get to the Reagan library. I would like to see that one day!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your wreaths came out lovely...I really like the idea of using silk.

    Oh those cars....I love looking at restored and collector cars. I think those folks like their cars as much as we like our sewing machines!

    Smiles,
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  19. Every time I see something you've made, I think it is the most beautiful one I've ever seen! The silk one is absolutely breathtaking!

    I recognized Herbie right away! and I love that surfboard Christmas tree!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The stocking is just gorgeous! Love what you lined it with too! Sebastian will enjoy it for many, many years!

    The embroidery is also gorgeous! Just think of the different ways you can use it. I have to get my new embroidery module out, maybe today as I am staying home today. The social worker said she did NOT want to see me today! ha! She said to stay home and get some rest. I have been getting lots of things done.

    I remember Herbie! That was such a fun movie. Clean so unlike so many movies today......

    Will try to get an e-mail off to you today. xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your feather wreath on silk is really fabulous! Sebastian has a wonderful stocking. As much as I love Thanksgiving Day and the food and football, family and friends that come with it...I enjoy the day after as well and leftovers!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi there, Even though I spent my first 55 yrs in northern Ca., I never got to the library. I loved the Christmas tree.
    Your stocking is beautiful, love the lining too. I have been working on new blocks and have 3 more to go on one design and then 30 on the second design. Don't know if I'll get them done before Christmas though.
    Have a wonderful weekend and a great Thanksgiving.
    Hugs, Noreen

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your stocking is lovely -- great job! I have one to make for a grandchild, too! LOL! Just a simple stitching, though -- no embroidery! Your feathers are gorgeous!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love that library; been a couple of times. Love the stocking and I can't wait for Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  25. That stocking is just adorable...congrats on your win. Have a fabulous Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Happy Thanksgiving Mary. I love that embroidery center piece. It looks like quilting! Hugs Nat

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beautiful stocking. I'm always amazed at how much you get done, even a stack of quilts (love this last one). I, too, love the leftovers--no fuss, just open the fridge and get out all the containers!

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love the quilt! The words say it all!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow! You manage to get so much done! Lovely projects! I think I need me one of those EPSR quilt! lol

    Love that Santa fabric you will be using on you lovely stocking! It's perfect! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete