Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Still Here

Yep, I am still around despite the fact that my good intentions to be a better blogger seemed to have flown away as quickly as February.   

The weather has been so nice and that tends to take me outside more than staying inside and stitching.  It has been the calm before the storm as I hear we are in for another big series of storms starting tomorrow.  What is it that they say, "Make hay while the sun shines"???

I managed to finally get my Allietare quilt finished.  I put the binding on and them remembered that it was suppose to have a scalloped edge.  Dang!  I may eventually take the binding off and redo it with the scallops as I love the look of scallops on quilt edgings.  Of course, that means that I will need to redo the binding with a biased binding too. 




Before I do that I need to get Scrap Dance Waltz and En Provence quilted.




As those of you who have followed my blog for awhile, it is the time of the year for the grandchildren's school auction.  That means it is time to get my 18" doll uniform made.  Have I ever told you how much I love sewing doll clothing????  ;-)



See those perfectly matched plaids?  TOTAL accident, but don't you love it when that happens?

As I mentioned, we've had some really nice temperatures lately and my Temperature Quilt is "heating up" nicely. 



I'm part of a couple of bees/swaps this year.  The first is our Gridster Bee.  The block this month was a pineapple block for Sherri.  I really enjoyed this block and can see a pineapple quilt at some point in my future. 


Using the same design I made a little garden flag for Jeanna



The second bit of fun was a mug rug swap with a group of gals who have sewn together for several years.  This is the block that I made for my partner's request for a Halloween mug rug. 



Ida made me this darling Valentine's mug rug.  I really like the scrappiness of it.  I love swapping out my mug rugs throughout the year and keep a little quilted box of them on my table.



We went to our eldest son's for their Super Bowl party.  What a game!  Taco Man came again this year.  I am fascinated by how this is done.  It is thinly slicked meat skewered with pineapple.  It is then cooked from the back while rotating.  As it cooks, they continually slice off the cooked part into nice little shreds for the tacos.  Can I tell you that it is delicious?



Several of my orchids have started blooming with lots more to follow.  They must know spring is quickly approaching.



As well, the Christmas cactus is finishing up with its blooming.  They stay outside all year so their bloom depends on the weather each year.  This is a special plant as it is an offspring of one that belonged to my grandmother.  I have started so many new ones from the initial piece she gave me. 



I'll see if I can do a better job of blogging.  No promises!


22 comments:

  1. The doll school uniform is beautiful! I used to enjoy sewing doll clothes, too, but haven't made any for years. Your orchids and Christmas cactus are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quilt tops and the finish are so lovely! Are you sure you want to take that gorgeous quilt apart and redo the binding?! Your flowers are such an inspiration, especially your reblooming orchids! Our Christmas cactus began blooming for Halloween and it's still sending out a few buds every week. They are my favorite houseplant - since it's too cold to keep them outside much of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Bonnie quilts are beautiful. I have my En Provence quilt ready to take to the quilter, but haven't gotten there yet. The doll uniform is adorable! I loved making doll clothes when my girls were younger. Great pineapples!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm repeating what Ramona said 🤓 Your Bonnie quilts and Scrap Dance are beautiful! Such lovely work. We're getting ready for more rain on the central coast. Sewing weather ☂️

    ReplyDelete
  5. Three amazing quilts .. hmmm! No I didn't leave the quilt as is.. doing a scrolled edge on another quilt...
    Sew cute the dolls uniform...you're a great Grandma....
    What beautiful orchids and cactus....
    Enjoy the sunshine while you can....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhhh Mary, makes me long for summer here! Your quilts are just stunning, each one of them is lovely. Your doll clothes are so very sweet, and flowers.....well, I want them! Lol
    Storming her again today...it seems about every 48 hours, we get more snow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness! Everything here is sooooo gorgeous! Love your two Bonnie Hunter mysteries and the Scrap Dance Waltz! Just beautiful! Love those scraps. The flowers are so pretty too. Yeah! Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your quilts are stunning and I don't think I'd be changing that binding to a scallop edge , it looks perfect just like it is . The little doll uniform is adorable , you are so clever . Those mug rugs are darn cute too 😊

    ReplyDelete
  9. So much eye candy in this one. I think a scalloped border would be great on your mystery quilt. Of course my very favorite thing from this post is my garden flag. We love it! My husband won't let me put it 'outside' so it will reside under the lanai. Thank you again, Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your quilts are gorgeous, Mary. Great work !!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such gorgeous pictures, from your quilt to flowers, love it all!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Reading this post was like a good long visit with you, Mary. I enjoyed looking at all your quilts especially the scrap quilts from Quiltville (you are the one who got me hooked on En Provence!). Your orchids and flowers and plants all look beautiful, as well. I would've liked to have gone to that Super Bowl party -- that shaved meat is so delicious. I'll be happy to read your blog anytime you want to write it, but don't worry about pleasing us. We will be here when you are ready to write.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So many beautiful things in one post, Mary! Your quilts are gorgeous!! You have outdone yourself. I always love to see the doll clothes you make. Just fabulous! You finished so many cute small projects too. The Christmas cactus is so special and the flowers are beautiful! Enjoy :)

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mary your blogging is just fine. I have been really bad lately, as I have had a dreadful cough and cold which just lingers and lingers. I am just beginning to come out of that and feel like doing a bit of sewing. Your quilts are amazing. Such a lot of work you have accomplished. I love the mugrugs. Your Halloween one for your friend is cute. The doll uniform is lovely as usual, and yes, I love when things come together beautifully even though it is accidental. Thank you for sharing. You are always an encouragement to me. Must blog. Must blog:-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You makes LOTS of hay when the sun doesn't shine. :o) Such pretty quilts and fun little projects. The school uniform doll outfit. I can imagine festive bidding on it at the auction. Taco Man? I love tacos. I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for something to bud or bloom here, anything! The snow has melted and now it's been raining. All of this water is good for the water shed but oh my! Your Christmas Cactus is so special and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your "En Provence is gorgeous - I'm still at the three blocks stage with mine but we have been on another trip to the UK. I read an article in a gardening magazine recently that said a Christmas cactus could be encouraged to flower for a second year if the owner was lucky! I had to laugh as I too have one that belonged to my grandmother - it is huge and flowers its socks off every year! It tends to flower at its best a few months before Christmas but keeps on going and it still has a few flowers on it now! Lynne.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So many lovely things on the go! The temperature quilt is an idea I haven't come across before. Interesting concept!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well if we are "voting"......I vote you leave Allitare just as it is. I love the darker border you put around it and I just don't see how you could improve the look of this gorgeous quilt! I love the Mug rug you made for Sara.....and I know she will too! I am on weighted quilt #2 now....a larger one using T-shirts....talk about a bad blogger....my last one was last year!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow you have been busy!! Love all your stuff!! I too was going to be a better blogger but photobucket was not playing my game. Hopefully soon I'll get back to it!!
    I love that taco man idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. love all your quilts especially scrap dance waltz. I made 4 blocks in blue and they are slowly becoming a table topper for me. love seeing your plants too. we are still under snow in my neck of the woods so the fresh sunshine and flowers makes me hopeful LOL.
    when I know I am having a busy time I "preblog" so that my blog has a blog but I did it days ago so it gives me spurts of time to get things done. try it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your Allitare quilt looks beautiful the way it is! I am always in awe of the beautiful doll clothes you make each year, I never seem to have the patience for that type of sewing. Your orchids are beautiful too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I like all your Quilts too and those tacos sound amazing.

    ReplyDelete