Thursday, September 18, 2014

Here, There and Back Again

It has been a whirlwind of travels around here in the last few weeks and I feel as though I need to reacquaint myself with my own bed!

It started out with a trip to Iowa, staying at my cousin’s home and welcomed each morning with this fun view. 

rincon5

The visit was actually for my uncle’s funeral, but it was wonderful to visit with family.   Of the remaining 24 first cousin there were only two that were missing so it was great to catch up.

It was back home for a few days and then off to the beach.  My cousin, her two daughters and DIL from Iowa came to visit.  The days were full as we tried to squeeze in a lot in the time they were here.

Beautiful days were spent at the beach watching sunsets, sunrises and surfers as well as visiting. 

Santa Barbara 030

Santa Barbara 008

rincon2
An interesting rock nestled in the sand...whale, tadpole????

We took a few side trips during the days…….

……a trip to the local orchid greenhouses

Santa Barbara 009
Makes me want to have a blue or purple wedding!
Santa Barbara 010

Santa Barbara 011

Santa Barbara 013

Santa Barbara 012


…..a visit to the Santa Barbara Mission

Santa Barbara 020

……a stop at the gate of Never*land Ranch

Santa Barbara 014

Santa Barbara 015
The many hearts are filled with messages for the 5th anniversary of MJ's death.
….lunch at the historic Cold Springs Tavern – an old stagecoach stop.

Santa Barbara 022

….and a little wine tasting.

Santa Barbara 028

We all departed on Sunday.  They left for their return to Iowa and we headed off for a business meeting in Atlanta, but we had such a great visit. 

Life is now back to a more normal (whatever that is) routine with cleaning and laundry waiting to be done.

Do you think this seagull has an identity complex?

Santa Barbara 031

Again….sewing has been very portable these last few weeks.  I started a small cross stitch project to keep my idle hands busy without much concentration needed.

001

21 comments:

  1. Wonderful post with such excellent pictures. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you've been busy.

    I just love those orchids ... Such vibrant, spectacular colors. Imagine a quilt out of those colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sorry for your loss but so glad you got in a lot of family time. Cross stitch is a GREAT idea! (I just got a jury notice in the mail for October!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - it looks like you covered it all!!! Loved those orchids - AMAZING!!! My kind of colors too :) And the seagull - he looked so lonely, like he was looking for another gull, lovesick.... yes, that kind of picture makes me imagine lots of things :*)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing beautiful beach and orchid photos! Glad you had such a great visit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it when you share those beautiful photos.
    the orchids are amazing....

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have had some wonderful travels and special times with family , you can't beat that :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful photos! The orchids are just amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your Cross Stitch Project looks fantastic, Mary.
    Thanks for sharing your beautiful photos.
    My best,
    Gosia.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You do keep a busy life. Good on you!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have been super busy but it sounds like all good things. Your cross stitch project looks so tiny and adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The ocean is so beautiful! What a cute cross stitch!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely post! The orchids are simply stunning! So many different varieties and all gorgeous. What a fun trip with your family, looks like you had a simply wonderful time. The pictures of the ocean made me drool, we don't have as many of the lovely beaches that you have, you know, the 'rocky coast of Maine'. I just got some redwork to do on the way out to CO, simple Christmas ornaments. Nice to have something small that you can just carry along easily. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Although it was a sad occasion, I am glad that you got to spend some time with rest of the family. Such beautiful photos. Thank you so much for sharing them.

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like you have been busy and enjoying it! Love the photo of all the rocks on the shore and is that a Pelican on the roof!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just the way summer should be, Mary! Other than your uncle's funeral, may he rest in peace, it sounds wonderful! I sure know what it means to be back in your own bed!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful time! I love the picture of the bird :-) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have been missing you, but I know you always have wonderful summer holiday. Sorry for your uncle passing. I remembered him visited you last year? RIP uncle! A cool captured of that seagull on the roof! You just got to be quick to get that - Well come home Mary. I thought you might have had a birthday too, yeah? Hugs Nat

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are so funny! I love your captions for your photos! Looks like you had another amazingly fun trip!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That sounds like such a good time visiting with your relatives even if it started out with a funeral. We are at the same stagecoach tavern a few years ago!

    ReplyDelete