Thursday, July 7, 2011

It’s About Time

It’s definitely about time that I get a few words written down here before I forget everything that has happened. 


We are always pretty busy around the July 4th holiday and this year was no different.  We host the LARGE (100+) family party each year so there is always plenty to keep us busy.  As well our son, DIL and their two little ones come for a visit.  We always enjoy their company.  They only live two hours away, but we all know how that goes.  Lives are busy!


So….what has been going on here???  Where shall I begin?  We’ve celebrated a couple of fun birthdays.


July 4th II 010
The big "1"

July 4th 2011 018
Yes....it is alive!!!!
We’ve done baking.


July 4th 2011 012
My three Monday "housecleaners"!!!!
…..went to see Cars II,

July 7th 2011 006

….entertained houseguests,


........watched tree forts being built,


The little one on the right broke his arm later in the evening and it wasn't from falling out of the tree!!!!

and dug up our tortoise eggs (finally)!!!


July 7th 2011 014


We’ve watched the quail bring their babies to the feeders.



July 4th 2011 020
There are nine babies and two sets of parents, thus why some babies are larger than the others.
Of course we also celebrated the 4th of July.


July 4th 2011 025
Should I claim that I know him????

July 4th 2011 026
Lots of volleyball.

July 4th 2011 032
Ground flowers are always fun.

July 4th 2011 035
So are sparklers!

July 4th 2011 041
Watching the fountains!

July 4th 2011 040
Why is it that they think if their ears are covered they won't "see" something????

July 4th 2011 042


Do you remember from my last post how I lost my scissors?  Can you imagine my thrill to learn that I won a pair in Thearica’s (www.pigtalesandquilts.com) giveaway.  Just look at how cute these little scissors are!!!!  I am sure they will put my lost ones to shame!

scissors


I have actually been doing a lot of sewing in spurts around here.  There was a lot of mending that had to be done (boring), but also a little fun.  I have several guild donation quilts that still need their binding before next week's meeting.  I did finish my first round of the Rockin Robin (see link on sidebar) quiltalong.  I am really pushing my limits here because I do not do purples!!!!  I decided to do this completely with what I have in my stash and this is the first row.

July 7th 2011 012

July 7th 2011 013
A bit more detail.

Something else that I am really excited about was winning one of the Beam and Read lights from Mdm Samm.   It has gotten harder and harder to work on my cross stitch projects as the daylight dims and the eyes get older.  It sounds like it is the perfect tool for the projects I have stacked and waiting.  I’m also looking forward to using it with my Kindle. Thank you Mdm Samm and IHAN.

Beam N Read Madame Samm's







37 comments:

  1. wow~fun pics! love those scissors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful to have such a large family party. Good times. And aren't those scissors the coolest?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy you joined our sewalong!!! Your grandkids are so cute. It looks like you've been having a good time. What do you do with dug up tortoise eggs?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that is a lot of people at one time. It looks and sounds like a lot of fun however.
    I also was wondering about the eggs you dig up.
    Congrats on winning those cute scissors.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. that looks like a lot of family fun (except the broken arm of course). Cute scissors that you won.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What can I say Mary, just amazing. Sorry that one of the little ones broke his arm though.With so many grands I am sure that there is always something going on .

    Think you would come first in Grandmother of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the pictures of your family, scissors...and congrats on your win...seems you won another giveaway today as well...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing your family pictures and quilting! I always enjoy seeing your family pics and wish that we'd had a couple more kids so we would have more grandchildren! Sorry about the little boy's broken arm!

    Take care...
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great way to celebrate the fourth - with friends and family.

    Congrats on your two wins!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like a wonderful time was had by all :-) Thanks so much for sharing! I hope the broken arm is doing all right. Love the scissors :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful Fourth! And I love your purple blocks...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like you had a wonderful time with family :) Thank you for sharing such fun pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow you have been busy. Love your new scissors, they are so cute.
    It's great to have a big family gathering to celebrate together, the photos are a treat to see.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love purple and I think that block is gorgeous! ;-)

    I saw those cute scissors in two quilting shops last week - they sell pretty quickly!

    Looks like you had a great time with your family. How wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! Looks like a great time was had!! Awesome!

    Adorable scissors, and I'll be watching those purples of yours!!! 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. How great that you can all get together and play volley ball and do fun stuff together. I'm using mediating when all mine are together! Well, not quite that bad.....but it looks you all had a good time!

    The eggs!!!! Can't wait to see how they progress.

    Loved sharing a 1 year old birthday between grands.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks like you've had lots of fun, and I love the scissors.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, I love the purples, and the scissors, and the 4th of July pants! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh My looks like a lot of fun was had by all at your house this year!! What a blessing it is to have such a large loving family I am sure.
    Love those scissors! Think my niece needs a pair!
    Congrats on your name being drawn on several gives!!
    Why do you dig up the eggs?
    Hugs,
    Lola

    ReplyDelete
  20. You have been one busy lady! Love all the pictures of the family fun, the pants are a howl!!! The grands are adorable!!!

    Those scissors are the cutest thing. I haven't seen them around here but will definitely keep looking!

    The quail are so cute, I love any wildlife. Is that an iguana? We used to have them, or should I say J used to have them......you can imagine who did most of the care.....When he went off to college I said they had to go somewhere too! He found them a good home. :o)

    You don't like purple???!!! I am shocked!!! ha! I LUV me some purple and yellow!! ha!

    We have a new member of the family as of yesterday. Will send pictures when I get some taken. Just letting him settle in for a few days and it's going well. He and Nick have taken up together which is good. He's a big quarter horse and we have two weeks to try him out and see if he is a good fit for our family. :o)

    So you are in turtle hatching mode for a while eh? How long does it take? Are the moms protective at all or do they just lay the eggs and that's it?

    Beautiful sunny day today. I had some HUGE California raspberries with my breakfast! YUM! xoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh Mary, I love reading your blog. Love seeing all the lovely happy family and the kids. What fun! Glad you won yourself some scissors (not all is lost!). Love your new blog looks too. I have a feeling that you like yellow hehe!
    Have a lovely weekend - Hugs Nat

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love all of your celebration photos! What a fun time, birthdays, the 4th and everything! I love those baby quail also! I would have loved to have played in the vollyball game too:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love this post, with all of your family activities!!! Great family fun!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your home looks like so much fun!! I bet everyone just loves to come over, I know I would!!
    and those scissors too cute. I would love a pair. Could you share the brand name?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Loved your post! Looks like you've had some great days with friends and family!

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a great time you have been having, lovely photos and so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  27. You've been having lots of fun. Love the patriotic pants!

    Love the new scissors! How cute they are. And you've been winning lots of good stuff!

    I need to branch out to some new blogs, but don't feel I have time as it is now. But I'm in a rut over at my place.

    Once the 4th is over, it's downhill to school - can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I always enjoy looking at your pictures, especially with the captions. Sorry to hear that the little one broke his arm and, yes, you should claim him. Where ever did he find those pants?

    ReplyDelete
  29. how fun! love the pics with everyone smiling so broadly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Looks like you had a fun holiday! What a wonderful family.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow, you have been busy.......I love all the family pictures.....you are one lucky lady!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Now that looks like a load of fun! You are so blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Congrats on winning the light and scissors! Love all your fun pics. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Mary,

    How fun! I always enjoy your family get-together pictures. :)

    Those scissors are adorable. Maybe I need to "purposely" lose a couple pairs of mine, and see if any as adorable as yours show up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. whew...you sure have been busy...love all the party pics!!!! what a fun time!!! and you have been on a winning streak!!!!
    and WHAT do you do with the tortoise eggs..inquiring minds want to know?

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi Needled Mom, Oh my!! I ADORE those scissors and the quilt blocks. What fun you had on the fourth! 100 guests?? Fireworks?? I'm jealous of the fireworks but not the 100 guests LoL!

    But grandkids are wonderful. What darling photos!
    xo
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  37. The photo of the girls with the bread is truly a treasure. Those smiles are so delightful :)
    I always love seeing your beautiful family pics.
    Oh boy, those stars and stripes pants are a sight to behold! ;)

    ReplyDelete