Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Is it Spring Yet?











It seems as though spring is slowly creeping up on us. I say slowly because it will be warm and sunny one day and then chilly (for us) the next. Ones hopes get up that summer is just around the corner. My daughter was telling me on Sunday that daylight savings time begins in just two more weeks. There IS hope. Yeah!





I have three of the tortoises out for the summer. The females are usually the first to emerge, but we do have one male that has also surfaced. As well, I have noticed a family of finches and of a small wren building nests right outside of the sewing room. I love to watch their busyness of nest construction. The male will bring a looooong twig and try to fit it in the hole and the female will bring these nice short ones. I can almost hear her say "Can you keep it neat, please?"






I had a chance to take a walk around the yard this weekend and was amazed at all that is out and blooming. I must say that all of this cannot be attributed to my good care as I have not had a moment to get out in the garden.






Christmas Cactus







Gardenia







Calla Lily






Yellow Alstromeria






White Alstromeria






Dutch Iris











Sweet Pea








Fuchsia








Red Hibiscus (tortoise food)






Yellow Hibiscus




Yesterday was a day to have my mind tested. I went in for my regular mammogram and bone density test. NOT! I arrived promptly for my 9:30 a.m. tests only to be told that my appointment was not Monday, but Tuesday. Oh.....by the way, it was at 11:00 too. Now, I can completely understand having the wrong day, but to also have the wrong time is a mystery to me. I have a feeling that something is fishy. I think what happened is that THEY put the wrong appointment in the computer. So today I will return and if they tell me that my appointment was yesterday I will be mildly upset. I have been taking my mom to 3-4 doctor appointments each week for the last three weeks and I haven't gotten any of them wrong.







The better news is that I have my new computer up. I won't say "up and running" yet, but "up" and in place. There are still a lot of things that I need to do before I will be back to normal. I should be doing that instead of blogging. I certainly got a lot more accomplished when the computer was sick. Hmmm.








Saturday night was the school auction for our our grandchildren's school. Everyone was terribly worried about what the end numbers would be with the financial problems that we hear about. The uniform that I had made for the American G*irl doll was involved in a bidding war. When the price finally got to $600 my DIL asked me if I would be willing to make another one and sell them both for the $600. Both bidders were happy with that solution. Sunday I spent making another uniform so it would be available to be picked up at school on Monday morning. I cannot imagine paying that kind of money for doll clothes, but I know it goes to a good cause. Perhaps people were looking to make a donation to the school and figured that would be a good way to do it. If not, I should go into business. This is a picture of the uniform that I made last year - the same as this year.










This week is my mother's 86th birthday. She has been such a trooper and never ceases to amaze me in what she does and accomplishes. My sister and I will take her to lunch on Thursday, her birthday, between doctor appointments. Then on Saturday night my three siblings and their spouses will take her out for a nice birthday dinner. This is the card that I have made and mailed to her.









There certainly seems to be a lot of illnesses going around. I read about it on different blogs and I see it in our family. Both my husband and I have had nasty colds for weeks now and our youngest grandson has RSV. He was a pretty sick little guy over the weekend, but is doing better now.








So....now I am off for another appointment. I hope that I have it right this time. Wish me luck!

22 comments:

  1. I had forgotten Daylight Savings Time is nearly here. YAY!!! I am tired of winter this year. BEAUTIFUL flower photos you have and what a PRICE those school uniform doll clothes commanded. GOOD job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday to your mom...hope you all have a good time at your luncheon.

    I loved the doll outfit and that was totally amazing that someone would spend that much on doll clothes (not that you didn't do an excellent job but 600) I just have to say WOW to that one.

    I truly enjoyed the flowers. I love flowers and it seems you have a vast assortment. You must have a green thumb. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks to me like you have some serious signs of spring there. I too am so excited that daylight savings time is so close too!! Happy Birthday to your mom and I hope she has many more to celebrate. She is blessed to have you all in her life. Have a wonderful day.

    Love and Hugs, Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! You already have all of those flowers in your yard? I'd definitely say spring is well on its way at your place.

    I didn't realize DST was coming so soon - good news!

    Wow also on the price your doll clothes brought - just wow!

    Happy Birthday to Mom. She's a trooper for sure.

    Hope your little guy is getting over the RSV. The babes have been miserable this week from big molars growing into their tiny mouths.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday to your mom.
    I can not believe the photos of such pretty flowers. We don't have anything even close due to our funny weather. It is nice like today in the 60's but by tonight they say we are to get sleet and then snow till late on Thurs and only in the low 30's.
    I too, forgot about DST change.
    Have a great time with your family and hope that you all get to feeling better.
    God bless

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad that you and hubby are over or almost over your colds. I love your flowers, particularly the irises. I never get to see those around here. Happy Birthday to your mom. You're fortunate to have her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am absolutely astounded at the price those doll clothes brought!
    They are adorable beyond words, and will make a great gift for some lucky child!
    Your flowers look so colorful and bright. You're at least a month ahead of us I'd say. We have sun today but more rain predicted for tonight.
    Happy Birthday to your Mom. I know she's had a rough time lately, so hope she has a wonderful celebration.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow.. all of your flowers are beautiful!!! I love the Blue Iris and the Christmas cactus.. I did not know that they could live outdoors...

    The doll uniform is so special...you are amazing to be able to sew such tiny doll clothes..I have a sewing machine , but don't use it...

    Your mom is one year younger than my mom. Wishing her a "happy birthday"..

    Hugs, Baba

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the card you made for your dear Mom for her birthday! It is beautiful! Hope your appointment went well today. Your flowers are beyond gorgeous! The iris is my very favorite. They look so much like orchids.
    Great job on the doll clothes. I know you are proud they brought such a high donation to a good cause. Hoping your Mom is continuing to improve.

    ReplyDelete
  10. those flowers are gorgeous...and happy birthday to your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such beautiful flowers...and all blooming in your yard!! I have a "not hardy" Hibiscus that I winter indoors. The past 2 1/2 weeks there has been 1 flower a day. I've been so excited to be able to have a fresh flower on the table. Sure wish they lasted longer than 24 hours though.

    Happy Birthday to your Mom. She needs a nice celebration after all she has been through the past months.

    Can you believe that you raised $1,200 with 2 doll outfits?!! So, what are they going to expect from you next year? Ha! The outfit is darling. What patience and ninble fingers you have to make such a small outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What lovely flowers..Ours should be starting to come out really soon within the next month I would say..Yes time changes on the 8th of march..seems early and i think that it is...
    You are quite the seamtress..How nice they look..wow!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Look at all the beautiful flowers you have in bloom....NOT FAIR!!!! lol We won't be seeing flowers here until at least May. You've got gorgeous flowers and I've always been partial to Calla Lilies, they're such graceful looking flowers.

    Oh dear, getting the wrong date and time for an appointment does seem a bit much...as you say, they most probably had the wrong date in their computer or someone changed it without letting you know! Hope it all goes well today.

    Omigosh, how wonderful that the little doll outfit that you had made for the school raised so much money...as you say, I don't think I'd pay that much for doll clothes but glad that someone was willing to! hehe

    Happy Birthday to your mom, I love the card you made for her:-) Take good care of YOU and have a wonderful week. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank goodness for Spring and DST !!!
    What beautiful flowers you have blooming already...Nothing's showing here yet.
    Happy Birthday to Mom,she's a trooper,and great sale at the auction for a good cause.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is what my mom-in-law said so. We had spring rain earlier and soon there will be flowers blooming. Oh, I am so excited about that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such beautiful flowers! My jonquils are beautiful this year and the Bradford Pears are popping out. The japonica has bloomed and the forsythia is almost all the way out too. My Carolina Jasmine has a few buds open and the Redbud Trees are gorgeous - even the tulip trees have bloomed. I sure hope we don't get a cold spell! It's hard to imagine in these hard economic times anyone would pay $600 for a doll outfit but like you say, it's going to a good cause. Maybe you should make a couple more and put them in the school office for sale! blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  17. cute clothes! I love them!!!

    Happy Bday to your mom!

    I love and enjoyed those gorgeous flowers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That Christmas Cactus is beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your flowers are gorgeous. Happy B-day to your mom. The card you made her is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Im just stopping by to say hello and Im back from a couple week blogger break !
    I love Gardenias, they smell so good and Im so ready for Spring :)
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gorgeous blooms! The calla lilies are amazing. I can't wait for the time change. Hopefully it will make the mornings a little easier.
    ~Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nice to see signs of Spring. Same here the odd warm day then back to cold.
    A nuisance about the appointment, especially when you are having to take your Mum to hospital regularly.

    ReplyDelete