Sunday, October 12, 2008

Another Whirlwind Week


Today is a special day for a fellow blogger. It is Pea's birthday!!!! For anyone who does not follow Pea, she is an incredible blogger. She is warm, witty and a friend to all. Be sure to pop on over and wish her a happy birthday. Her blogging party should be special. This gal loves a party!




To say that the past week has been a whirlwind is putting it mildly. I have found myself chasing my tail much like a dog does and accomplishing just about as much, unfortunately.



Thank you everyone for the kind congratulations on the arrival of our newest grandson. Babies are such a blessing. Everyone here is thrilled and enjoying each little thing that he does. Okay, maybe not the middle of night feedings, but MOST everything else. Of course this is coming from a grandma who does not have to get up all night and function on little sleep. We can somehow relate to all of that, can't we?



My posting was quick after the arrival of the new baby. The reason for that was because I had a morning flight to San Francisco to meet my husband who was there on business. I had almost cancelled my trip because of the pending arrival of the wee one, but figured that it would be the perfect time to go as my daughter was going to be in the hospital for several days following the birth. We both flew back on Friday morning and Grandpa finally got to meet the newest grandson. He is a chubby, content little boy.




We both enjoyed ourselves immensely while we were in San Francisco. The city is beautiful and I doubt that I have ever had better weather than what we experienced while we were there. My husband loves the city as he went to college at USF in the 60s when the hippies were in Haight Ashbury. Lots has changed since that time. The city is one of those cities where it is so much fun to get out, walk and explore. They have so many interesting ethnic areas and stores that one cannot even begin to describe. They even have a fabric store that calls me to visit each time I am there. It is literally about five stories high. I practically drool the whole time as I look at the luscious fabrics for sale on each floor.



This is an athletic club on the top of the hill in the city. Can you imagine what the membership dues must be?







This was the view of the Bay from our hotel room. It was crystal clear and we loved it. The cable car stopped right in front of our hotel.









The Blue Angels were also in town and were practicing for a weekend show. Always incredibly impressive, they amazed us once again as they did a maneuver above the Golden Gate Bridge.







We were also able to take a tour out to the Napa Valley and Sonoma area wineries. These are always interesting to us as one of our sons works in the wine business in the central coast area of California. The two areas grow different types of grapes and produce different wines due to their temperature differences. Harvest is in full swing in both areas.






One of the wineries that we visited produces sparkling wines and the winery itself is absolutely gorgeous. There are many rock sculptures throughout the gardens and I couldn't pass up showing you a photo of the mushroom garden that I loved. I'd like to try something like that at my house.





Halloween will soon be here and my son and his wife asked me if I could come up with a snail outfit for their crawling little guy to wear. I was playing around a little with the idea this week and this is what I designed. It should look really cute when he is crawling about. I will have to get a photo of it with him wearing it.



The temperatures have taken a cold turn this week. Our low was actually 39* yesterday morning. It seems a little early to get temps that low for us. Let's hope that is not an indication of what the winter will be like here. Our farmers do not need another bad freeze this year. They are still recovering from one just two years ago.



I hope that everyone will have a wonderful week .

18 comments:

  1. I'm so glad the weather was beautiful for your trip to SF. I know we've both had a crazy couple weeks, and I wish we could have somehow arranged to get together as you were so close. (especially when you came up into the Napa Valley as we're even closer to that area)
    Your newest grandson is so perfectly rounded out. Looks so content!

    Loved all your photos, and the one of the blue angels was great. When we were in the market on Saturday, we met the lead pilot from that group!
    The creative snail costume
    is adorable! He'll be the hit of the Halloween parties!!
    We're chilly here too, and it's feeling like fall!
    Have a wonderful week. It's another busy one for us, but I hope to get a post done one day soon!!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mary -

    Thanks for posting the SF photos. Don’t you love that city? What a great place to visit - and no, I wouldn’t want to live there!

    The snail costume is adorable. I can’t wait to see it in action!

    Congrats again on the new grandbaby. What a sweetheart he is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like a wonderful trip!! And what a beautiful, content looking grandbaby. I just love chubby cheeks and babies with hair!! Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful photos! I love the little snail costume - can't wait to see the crawling snail! You are so talented!

    The newest grandson is gorgeous too - how he has changed in a week! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoyed seeing you at Pea's party. Wasn't that a riot?! I didn't return my RSVP so snuck in the back door.

    What a beautiful baby. How much did he weigh? His arms look chubby and he has a double chin...he has a good start on life. So soft and wonderful to hold, hug and kiss!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the new Grandbaby! Beautiful! I'm so happy for you.. And those are great pictures..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for the birthday wishes, dear friend!! I'm so glad you were able to come to my party! hehe

    Your new grandbaby is just so adorable. I have another 25 days or so before my granddaughter arrives...can't waitttttt:-)

    How wonderful that you were able to go to San Francisco, loved seeing all the pictures.

    Omigosh, that little snail costume you made is just precious!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for joining my giveaway...still hoping I win yours! That pillow is adorable! Congrats on the birth of your little grandchild and what a cute, cute snail costume!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just popped over from Pea's to wish you a Happy Birthday. Congratulations on the new grandbaby!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I justed popped over from Pea's and I would like to wish you a Happy birthday today.
    Your trip photos were really beautiful, glad you had a clear day to take them.
    It was down in the low 30's last night.
    Have a great day on your birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday! I hope you are having a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Me again!
    Just had to pop in and say Happy Birthday! Hope it's a wonderful day for you!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just heard that today is your birthday. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

    Have a great day and may you be blessed with having many more birthdays to celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
  14. HAPPY BIRTHDAY ALL THE WAY FROM YOUR FRIEND IN MAINE! So glad that Pea posted it so that I would know. I had been wondering when your birthday was. I hope all your family it spoiling you rotten as you spoil them all year long doing all the lovely things like making that adorable Halloween outfit! That is just sooooooo cute! Speaking of cute the baby is just beautiful, oh maybe I should have said handsome as he's a boy! Anyway, he is just perfect and so nice that he is a contented baby!
    Mom continues to be at the rehab center. We are starting to see some progress the past couple of days. It's slow but being right in bed for over two weeks takes a lot out of a persons strength so she has to get that back. Tomorrow is her birthday so I am trying to think of something fun to do for her and her roommate. Maybe lots of balloons! We leave Saturday for Florida if all continues to go as it is going right now. Of course if she has a set back I won't go but we are thinking postive.
    Have a wonderful, wonderful day my dear friend!!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like you had a good time. My son loves San Franscisco and has hundreds of photos from his various visits but I enjoyed yours too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A first time visitor here - I found your blog through Sweet Pea's. A happy belated birthday to you! And your grandbaby is adorable!

    Blessings,

    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good evening , I am a day late, but want to wish you a "happy birthday".Your new grandson is so cute and looks so sweet and loving..Congrats to all and give his mom my blessings....

    I visited SF one time with my husband when he had business out in Ca.; I really enjoyed seeing the cute rows of houses together..I would like to go back and spend more time there..

    Your grandson looks so special in his snail costume.I wish I could sew as well!!!!
    Have a good night. hugs, Baba

    ReplyDelete