Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Fire Season

Living in Southern California provides us a "season" that is unique to us. It is a time when the Santa Ana winds blow with fury. They are very dry, hot winds that come in from the deserts. The sky is gloriously blue and the air is crystal clear. However.....it also brings the terrible fires for which we are well known. This has been our week of fires. There has been fire "activity" all around us and we are all acutely aware of the extreme care that we must take in preparing our homes and neighborhoods for the times when we are threatened. It is a sad moment for all of the folks who have lost so much. Our hearts and prayers go out to them.





The helicopters have been flying back and forth with their scooper baskets loaded with water. They fly low and the deep "woof, woof, woof" of the aircraft can easily be heard all day.





We have firefighters from all over the West fighting these fires. I was glad to see that perhaps they were able to get a little sleep and a shower after their heroic efforts.





One big project that we do is to have our eucalyptus and palm trees trimmed. For some reason the tree trimmers showed up to do their work with howling winds. I would think only a crazy person would climb a sixty foot tree and dangle from it's branches during weather like that. I guess I must be wrong. Check out this job.





See the little man high up in the tree? See the wind as the cut sections blow away? Oh dear....not a job for the faint of heart.



Our son was down to meet the new baby with his little guy over the weekend. He looks so big compared to the new baby and he is so much fun.



He loved a few bubbles in the whirlpool tub.





As promised...a glimpse of him in his snail outfit. I will post a better one from his parents (once they stop laughing each time they dress him in the costume).






Yesterday was our monthly quilt guild meeting. We had a wonderful guest speaker who had flown in from Hawaii. Sylvia Pippen brought many of her quilts in which she works magic with applique and Japanese Sashiko. You can check out more of her designs at www.sylviapippendesigns.com/ . These are a couple of her pieces that she brought with her. All of the Sashiko - a running stitch of thick white cotton thread - is done by hand. Note also the details in her applique. It was amazing.



Thank you all for the wonderful birthday greetings. I had a fabulous day as I am so blessed.

13 comments:

  1. We've been watching the awful pictures of the fires on news. If you took pictures of the copters that must mean the fires are pretty close?? We're having a good rain today that I wish we could send you. I'm sure it would be more help than bags of water dropped from the sky.

    Your little snail is just darling!!

    Checked out Sylvias pages and think her sashiko work is wonderful. I'm going to attempt to try something like that one day soon. A beginners try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What pretty quilts, and sweet bubble/snail baby! Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope the fires aren't too close? It's wonderful how firefighters from all over rally together when there is a big fire.
    They were fighting the fire on Angel Island with helicopters earlier this week.
    Your little snail is beyond adorable and aren't you glad you got your tub fixed so he could have a nice bubble bath at Grammy's house!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you had a nice birthday! Those pictures of the little one are so cute! He looks adorable in that snail outfit and in the tub with the bubbles! What fun!

    I've been watching the news about the winds and fires out your way. So scary, you must have an evacuation plan in place. What about your turtles? What would you do with them and also your birds? And dogs! I hope you don't have to deal with all of that.

    The quilting is just beautiful. You certainly get to hear and see some wonderful speakers at your guild.

    Oh my! The tree guy looks rather precarious up there swaying in the wind! Yikes!

    Mom had a pretty good day today. She is back to having therapy three times a day so is very tired but sleeps better at night and isn't have the nightmares. I washed and did her hair today and that made her feel a little better plus she even put on some lipstick. We kept her birthday very low key and will have a party when she comes home and is up to it.

    I'm trying to pack for Florida plus get my house all cleaned. The oven is cleaning now, don't know why I feel like I have to have everything spotless but I do. You know how that is.

    It's beautiful here but some rain is coming in tomorrow. I wish I could send some your way to help with the fires.

    Royce and his Dad have gone up to see Mom for a few minutes tonight. They don't stay long maybe 10 or 15minutes as they know she gets very tired.

    Must go finish up some laundry and do some more packing. Take care and I will be praying that those fires stay away!!! Love, L.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your grandson looks absolutely darling in his snail costume, Mary! It turned out so cute!

    Great photos of yesterday's quilts. I am so intrigued with this technique!

    Aren't you glad you're not a tree trimmer?? Stay safe in all this dry, hot air. My sinuses sure aren’t happy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope that you stay safe from that fire!

    Your little one is just precious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry I missed your birthday! It has been a good trip and we're heading home tomorrow. I've spent this whole evening catching up.

    I LOVE the snail costume - you are so clever! I can't wait to see him in crawling mode with it on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What beautiful quilts, especially the green one.

    Wow blowing around up the gum tree!

    So glad that you have not been affected by the fires. Have been watching on TV.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope that you are safe from the fires! I enjoyed seeing pictures of the little ones...such a sweet snail. :0)
    ~Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  10. scary to hear about those fires!
    hopefully they are not too close to you!

    that baby is simply ADORABLE!!!! I bet he liked those bubbles;)

    love those quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday!
    and I want onew of those little snail suits..lol
    Bunches of hugs..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your little snail is adorable!!!
    I sure hope it rains soon for those folks, stay safe.
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have seen these fires on TV, it must be very scary to be were they are, hope you stay safe. That little guy is so cute, they sure do like their baths. I am inviting you to come on by.

    ReplyDelete